Better call quality abroad on mobile for business

Hi,

I am currently spending extended periods abroad and I have a good allowance of minutes and data through my Three sim plan. However I find the call quality pretty poor and the connection is unreliable. Also I have trouble accessing the Three voicemail seems to be very temperamental abroad. Since I rely on my phone for my business I am looking for an alternative option to improve the call quality and provide an online/digital voicemail service.

Please could someone with experience of doing this or similar let me know what they would recommend? I dont quite understand the options out there!

I have seen a brief introduction to google voice, which could be a good option (although I believe I would have to update my work contacts with my new google voice number - which is ok).

The main issue is for my business calls, for which I will be connected to a good internet connection, however I need to receive inbound calls (ideally to my existing mobile number or new number etc).

Any suggestions / tips would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• CardinalWolsey
    CardinalWolsey Posts: 713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is your data signal any better than your voice reception? Do you connect to Wifi when possible? If your phone (and Three) support WiFi calling, you could just enable that, and see what performance you get. From a cost perspective, I typically just use Skype (which when making non-Skype calls publishes my mobile number as the originating number for caller display). If you don't mind getting an alternative number, you could look at the likes of Vonage, which is a "full" VOIP service provider, so you would get a UK number in a dialling code of your choice, and then run a VOIP client on your phone (or laptop / tablet). What's nice is that you get voicemail to email with them, and almost instantly receive the voice message as an MP3 attachment if you miss a call. Skype also do a "Skype Number" service, which operates in the same way, but I've never used that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure