edited 29 April 2019 at 7:23PM in Energy
29 replies 1.4K views

Replies

• DandytfDandytf Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks OP
    I'm due to switch to Bulb from sse. 11th May.
    Though on Bulb site Eco7 times for North Scotland -All meters have different times.
    I.e. no times for region 17-though I haven't called them yet to ask.
    Meanwhile after being with SP for lots of years I switched to sse early 2018.
    Though I noticed kitchen hot water heater control didn't switch off until 08:15 Bst-not sure if it comes on midnight or 1a.m. As I don't think it was 11 p.m.
    I. Have made the effort to start washer dryer a while later sometimes after 10 p. Or 11 p.m.
    My sse usage day-high rate/night-low rate usage has been almost 50/50% which is fine.
    I never questioned eco7 times with SP just used what I needed anytime though was home a lot less than what I have been since 2017.
    I'm going let Bulb switch take place, enter meter readings and give them a call to check eco7 times.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Dec 2019 11140 paid 80% approx.-Next Update Early Jan 2021
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month-New Rules 2020
    Mid 2019/20-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -T.b.c.-Closed reverting to e-saver 14.
  • edited 29 April 2019 at 8:03PM
    Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2019 at 8:03PM
    That's not Economy 7
    Economy 7 allows for 7 hours of low rate electricity per day, as the name implies.

OK, to be specific, there is NO E7 Tarrif in Scotland. It is 8.5 hours (excepting the teleswitched weirdness called White Meter). People still call it E7 though. Really go look up the timeswitched periods for any of the tarrifs or find anything called Economy 7 in MDD.

(unless there has been a new SSC in the last couple of years since I looked).

(Also people may get E7 fitted by the non Scottish suppliers programming the meter like that but is certainly is not compliant).

(Happy to be proved wrong).
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    E6/7/10 what is the issue ? You are getting 6 or 7 or 10 hours in 24 at the cheap[er] rate.

I'm on E7

In E10 Scotland [comfort plus]terms, three blocks [all electricity at cheap rate] so 00.00 - 05.00 then 13.00 - 16.00 then 20.00 - 22.00. I'm in England [Area 15] on Northern Powergrid one of the 14 areas in the national distribution network.

Get in touch with your supplier, and ask. Don't confuse / conflate tariff and area code.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • edited 29 April 2019 at 8:13PM
    Flt._Lt._BigglesFlt._Lt._Biggles Forumite
    300 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 29 April 2019 at 8:13PM
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    OK, to be specific, there is NO E7 Tarrif in Scotland.
    Yes there is
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    (Happy to be proved wrong).

https://www.npower.com/idc/groups/wcms_content/@wcms/documents/digitalassets/economy_7_tariff.pdf

Read it and weep :D

(although that indicates the split E7 hours apply to the SE of England - not sure why I thought it was a Scottish region :huh:)
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    101.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ours is a new digital meter as the previous digital meter (same model) drifted by more than 2 hours. The current one is 15 minutes off the 12.30 to 7.30 GMT. And it doesnt change for BST. So, currently its 1.45 to 8.45.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can enter bulb meter readings from Monday.
    Though I thought Id'e try finding eco7 times by region.
    I don't have the required top centre three digit code on meter.
    I do have SP Tele-switch which doesn't give me any further info to work from.
    Think I'll try calling Bulb CS next week.
    Mid 2019/20-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -T.b.c.-Closed reverting to e-saver 14.
  • edited 3 May 2019 at 10:33PM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2019 at 10:33PM
    There's only one sure way to find out when your meter switches between peak and off peak and that's to watch it when it switches over and check the actual time that it does it.

Asking your supplier is probably a waste of effort especially if the timing is controlled by the meter's own clock or external timeswitch both of which can drift out, sometimes by several hours

Even some teleswitched stuff is slightly staggered as I guess that the power generation network would have a bit of a problem if several million storage heaters all switched on at exactly the same time. It's not the supplier (ie the company that takes your money) that controls the teleswitch, it's the power generation company. I

t really doesn't matter a great deal who your supplier is, the timing wont change unless you end up with a smart meter which may or may not get it's time from the comms network or it's own internal real time clock.

You need to physically check it yourself if you are concerned about the accuracy of switching times
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    101.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to physically check it yourself if you are concerned about the accuracy of switching times

And its worth doing it periodically as they do seem to drift. Even the electronic ones.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks
    I don;t think I have the strength to watch which meter spins tonight.
    I suspect it could be anytime from 23;00hrs-whatever start time.
    101.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You dont have to watch it. You just need to check it. It will take a few days to narrow down. If its still on day rate then check a bit later in the morning/night.