Had a new employment offer, but im unsure

Options
I am in a bit of a quandry on this one. I am about to be offered a contract with a rather large blue chip company. I applied because I was having a "hate my boss" day and it all carried forward from there.

It would mean staying away during the week, but the money side of it is appealing. I am currently on £30,000 (give or take a few hundred) but this contract is a 6 monther that will be renewed (every other member of that team has been renewed, and some have been there 5 years plus.)

They are offering me £250 per day. Now years ago, I did contracting but I didn't have to worry about mortgages etc.

So a couple of things:

Firstly, after NI and tax, how much would that bring to my pocket.

Secondly, am I mad. I have an easy job (server side technologies),perhaps too easy, medical insurance F.O.C and flexitime, but the hours are excessive to say the least and my job is secure. I just feel time is marching on and nothing is happening?

The alternative is to stay and ask for a bigger payrise but I can't see that coming off

Any positive/negative sides to consider (I know self employed affects your credit rating but we DFWs dont want any more credit do we ;) )

Thanks

Comments

• Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    I did a quick calculation and 250 a day is £60,000 per year (if you work full time)

It comes out at £3,422 per month after tax and NI. I used this site

http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php?calc=1&year=2007&age=0&add=0&taxcode=&period=1&ingr=60000&Submit=Calculate

It is a LOT of money

If you are experiencing itchy feet for more than one reason (hate your boss, too many hours, not stretching you, time is marching on) then I would take a deep breath and go for it. Imagine how you might feel in 6 months if youdon't take it and your situation is just as bad.

What is your home life situation? Married? Children? If you are single, then go for it even more! If not, then you need to have a long think about how it will affect things at home. I worked away for year once, I'd do it again if the job was the right one.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a live in partner, but no kids. I think a talk may be in order, but when I initially broached the subject she was all for it. She has more than enough to keep her entertained during the week with her own little ventures and such. I think having the house tidy for 4 days a week would appeal too ;)
  • wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    I think you regret more the things you didn't try. Go for it, and if you don't like it after six months you will still have earnt as much as you would have done in a year if you had stayed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure