We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Green house door - off again!

Options
no1catman
no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Have an Eden Hall green house - almost five years old now.

But is it me, or do others have similar problems in high 40+mph winds the door comes off!?
Before hand, closed the door, and not warmth enough to have any windows open.

The door ideally slides open and closed, rollers on top, guides on the bottom to keep it in place.

I'm being to wonder if the top frame channel could over time have got distorted - hence the problem.

Any experience, ideas, suggestions etc.
I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't really have any experience of Halls, but I did have to straighten my generic aluminium frame doorway once when a piece of gravel got wedged under the door - a pair of mole grips are invaluable. As a temporary fix, maybe a cargo bungee stretched across the lower half of the door will stop it popping out

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Cherry_Burton
    Options
    Hi, I have the very same problem with a Hall's. A spirit level shows the top runner is still straight so I'm not sure what happens. In recent high winds, I sealed it up with duct type tape which did the trick but is not a permanent solution. I will have to investigate further when I get time over the summer.

CB
    1/10/2015 Debt Free
    1/1/2018 Mortgage Free
    Now saving for early retirement
  • no1catman
    Options
    Cherry Burton -
    Did the rollers or bottom guides break?
    I've had a roller go, I've had guides snap, oddly this time neither has happened - and I managed to fit three guides - not that it made any difference.

To my mind there's no point in getting someone in to put it back in situ, if in the next high winds the bl**** thing is going to come down again!!

My plan at the moment is, when I have the time, to go to a garden centre that has a greenhouse area - and 'pick they brains' for a solution - can a different door mechanism be fitted?

Currently with Halls they want photos of how the guides are fitted, and door put back - for them to vet the correct method.
  • no1catman
    Options
    Update - have found the rollers are not rolling - fitted too tight. Hence through skidding, have worn down - looks more like a twenty pence piece! Which is probably how it came off.
    Trouble is I don't who tightened them last - the last guy who put the door up, or the one before!!
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a problem, I'm sure you can get replacement rollers, not that expensive, they are quite easy to fit on our greenhouse (different make) and then reassemble.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • MartinGardener
    Options
    If it's going to be windy overnight you can put a line of duct tape down either side of the door to keep wind getting behind it. I've had to do that on my own greenhouse before.
    I now keep some spare door wheels and fittings around just in case! Like these: https://www.greenhousestores.co.uk/Halls-Greenhouse-Accessories-And-Spares/
    One of my neighbours took a drill to his greenhouse frame so that he could fit a padlock hasp to it and it works pretty well.
    You'll find me in the garden. In the shed. In my greenhouses. Or maybe the local hostelry!
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine is fine usually but sometimes gets stuck on gravel. It came with the house but I would get slabs if I ever replace the greenhouse as gravel gets kicked onto the track. However my main problem with the greenhouse is the local delivery driver who has the bright idea of leaving packages in there even though it is packed with plants- last week he took the door completely off the rollers (GRR!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure