🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Deceased estates notice

Options
2»

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Capt_Slog wrote: »
    But I've never seen such a notice, what form do they take?

This is an example from The Gazette -
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3264492
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Flugelhorn.
    We knew the approximate cost of the house, and and estimate of what was owed on it at the time. The amounts were under threshold for inheritance tax anyway, and so getting probate wasn't a problem.

The equity release loan can never go into the negative, we've found that much out. The main problem is that the lender refuses to deal with us, this is what I meant by not being able to get all the details.

Wife and two siblings are the beneficiaries, plus small gifts to the spawn of the strep-mum. One of the siblings is to live in the bungalow, going to pay other shares as instalments on interest free loan, next ten years or so.

"Life interest". I don't know what that means.

Also found out since the OP about the notice protecting the executor and not the beneficiaries, then saw it on here as well. Good point, and one I hadn't realised.

Anyways. This is all very interesting, but can someone give me an idea to the original questions :p

Is there a form of words for putting the notice in the local paper myself?
    Which bit does it go in? Never seen one, but then I don't have a paper. Cheers.
    Life interest means exactly usually the spouse of the deceased. They are responsible for the upkeep II the maintenance and insurance. Latter has to be in the joint names of the estate trustees and the resident.on the death of the life tenant the remaining equity is distributed according by the trustee usually by selling the property after any debts such as the release value. Nooy else has the right to live after the life tenant has died. This needs to be sorted.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The wording is similar for the local paper, and we found that the Gazette was cheaper than the local paper (I don't think the Gazette was offering to do it for you when we needed to do it).

It's possibly worth phoning your local paper and asking for a quote for a deceased estates notice, you might find it is cheaper than the quote from the Gazette but no guarantees.

Every local paper I've ever seen has a section of these, small print, with the classifieds at the back ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 29 April 2019 at 2:16PM
    Options
    Was the house jointly owned?

If not what are the terms of the equity release on death of the owner.
  • Capt_Slog
    Capt_Slog Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help and the replies folks.

The situation is much more complex than the bits I've told you about and I don't want to go into any more detail.

However, I've learned some valuable stuff.

Cheers.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Thanks for the help and the replies folks.

The situation is much more complex than the bits I've told you about and I don't want to go into any more detail.

However, I've learned some valuable stuff.

Cheers.
    Beware of the consequences of only giving part of the story. It can cause very misleading answers. Even professionals can go wrong with less than full information.
  • Capt_Slog
    Capt_Slog Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Beware of the consequences of only giving part of the story. It can cause very misleading answers. Even professionals can go wrong with less than full information.

True. I'm not trying intending to mislead anyone, but there's only so much i want to talk about on public forum. ;)

In answer to one of my original questions, a local newspaper ad looks like this (taken from a local newspaper and written by a solicitors firm)

All claims under S27 Trustee Act 1925
    Blogs, Frederick of 1 Street Road Town City AB1 2DE, died on 00/03/2019.
    All claims under S27 Trustee Act 1925 to ThisSolicitors , 1 Avenue Road Town City AB2 3CD, on or before 00/07/2019.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You main point was there were no funds but with property there are funds just not cash.

Those taking a beneficial interest in assets should be paying the debts and expenses.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    True. I'm not trying intending to mislead anyone, but there's only so much i want to talk about on public forum. ;)

In answer to one of my original questions, a local newspaper ad looks like this (taken from a local newspaper and written by a solicitors firm)

All claims under S27 Trustee Act 1925
    Blogs, Frederick of 1 Street Road Town City AB1 2DE, died on 00/03/2019.
    All claims under S27 Trustee Act 1925 to ThisSolicitors , 1 Avenue Road Town City AB2 3CD, on or before 00/07/2019.
    Looks good to me. Note that these notices only protect the executors and NOT beneficiaries. This seems very unfair but it is the law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport