Warrant of Control - Please help!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in IVA & DRO
3 replies 1.1K views
BlaizeofgloryBlaizeofglory Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in IVA & DRO
I have been sent a warrant of control for a ccj against an old credit card debt that I ignored. I know I shouldn't have ignored it but I'm dealing with a terminally ill mother, a young child and severe anxiety.

I gave sought advice from step change who have advised a DRO as I only have £10 left at the end of the month and the debt is for £3900. This is my only debt.

I have submitted an N245 to suspend the Warrant of Control and offer the £10 a month whilst I apply for the DRO. The warrant of control states that if bailiffs will call if the debt isn't paid by 3rd May. I am worried sick and I've not slept for days.

The N245 was sent by first class recorded delivery yesterday so will have arrived today. In the meantime, should I contact the bailiffs to tell them what's happening? I am so worried about them coming here and incurring more fees. My son who is 4 heard me on the phone to stepchange and is scared too.

We are going through so much at the moment and this is making me physically ill.. I just need some advice if anyone is listening..

Replies

• fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    16.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, and thanks for your pm

The N245 was absolutely the right thing to do - I assume you ticked both boxes to suspend the warrant and vary the order. This will now be on hold until the court hears from the creditor and then makes a decision on it. It's not very likely that it will be changed to an instalment order at that level but I have seen them made.

The important thing is that you have bought yourself time to get the DRO set up.

One more point - as a credit card is a consumer credit act debt the claimant must use the court bailiff. These are usually OK to deal with as they are employees of the court. If they haven't got the message about the N245 you should be able to phone them and have a reasonable conversation.

£3900 isn't a lot of debt to do a DRO with. If you get the £10 instalment order you might want to run with that for a bit.

You sure you have no other debts? Council Tax? Water? Universal Credit advance payment?
  • Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate it.

Yes, I ticked both boxes.. So does that mean that when the court is in receipt of the form the warrant is suspended and the bailiffs will not come yet? Do you think I should phone them anyway?

No, I have no other debts. This was from a long time ago, they filed for the CCJ a couple of weeks off the debt being statute barred and I should have contested it for several reasons but due to lots of personal things happening around the same time, I stupidly ignored it.
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    16.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate it.

Yes, I ticked both boxes.. So does that mean that when the court is in receipt of the form the warrant is suspended and the bailiffs will not come yet? Do you think I should phone them anyway?

No, I have no other debts. This was from a long time ago, they filed for the CCJ a couple of weeks off the debt being statute barred and I should have contested it for several reasons but due to lots of personal things happening around the same time, I stupidly ignored it.

Yes, that is what it means but it would do no harm to let the bailiff office know, as it can take some time for all the admin to get done.

It's a shame that this debt is pushing you to insolvency. Anyway, see what the result is of the N245
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals