Employee playing games at work

Options

Comments

• Fiona_CW
    Fiona_CW Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In a previous job I was often asked to do "supervisor tasks" even though I was not being paid supervisor rates. I worked hard and always did what was asked and therefore got more responsibility. Yet when it came to promotion to supervisor, I was always overlooked. I'm not saying that is what has happened here but I can understand the doing the minimum work required if you do not feel valued.
  • scalextric
    scalextric Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    I'm on minimum wage, my job isn't exactly taxing as we only respond when a customer comes in and at all other times we are free to watch the (company provided) television or surf the internet on the (company provided) laptop - an absolutely perfect job for someone with my disabilities who was struggling to find anyone who wanted to take me on.

I've taken to inventing new things to do as part of my role though as I get bored easily which have quickly become things we all need to do as part of our role as I attempt to drag the place into 21st century professional standards. As a result, I have jumped from the new girl at the bottom of the rung to second in command with a heck of a lot more responsibility (but no more pay) in less than 18 months.

So other people are expected to do more work because you were bored and invented tasks for yourself? And you arent getting any more pay but have more responsibility?
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pretty much...although in my defence as part of that I discovered that there were things that we should have been doing and had we been inspected, which ever staff member had the misfortune to be on duty would have been fined (massively) and we could have potentially been closed down as we were not compliant with regulations.

On top of that, the improved standards have improved our working environment, our customer footfall and as a result of that, allowed more hours to be given to staff members (which they were asking for but couldn't be given due to finances).

Some of my invented tasks are things only I do and have not become compulsory for other staff but they are liked by some of the staff members so they do them too.

And nope, no extra pay for the extra responsibility but a huge boost for my confidence (I thought I was past it and useless) and something that looks really good on my CV ready for my next move.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pretty much...although in my defence as part of that I discovered that there were things that we should have been doing and had we been inspected, which ever staff member had the misfortune to be on duty would have been fined (massively) and we could have potentially been closed down as we were not compliant with regulations.

On top of that, the improved standards have improved our working environment, our customer footfall and as a result of that, allowed more hours to be given to staff members (which they were asking for but couldn't be given due to finances).

Some of my invented tasks are things only I do and have not become compulsory for other staff but they are liked by some of the staff members so they do them too.

And nope, no extra pay for the extra responsibility but a huge boost for my confidence (I thought I was past it and useless) and something that looks really good on my CV ready for my next move.

I wouldn't rise to it tbh

Too many employees looking to do the bare minimum and then the first whinging when their jobs are the first to go

NMW or LW, the end of the day you have been employed to do a job. I personally think that my job is worth at least £3 an hour above NMW, its not going to happen as since NMW came in, it works for employers

If I skived, played games etc, Id be out on me ear, and the truth of the matter is there's a long line of people willing to take my place
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting thread.

OP has had all the good advice he needs, but I want to chip in regarding the old lady and the petrol station parable.

If the mythical manager of this mythical old lady had been around in the petrol station, I'm sure the old lady would have carried on reading/knitting when there were no cars to fill.

I'm also sure that this employee wouldn't spend 82% of his time playing games if his manager was around.

OP - I'm very interested in the monitoring application you have that gives you such granular information, can you let me know what it's called please?
  • farmerboy
    farmerboy Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

As said above, I wouldn't rise to it. Most employees these days can't see past the pay and doing the minimum needed to secure it.

I'm in a similar situation, but luckily am paid a very decent wage as the industry and role I'm in demands that. I do go over and above what my colleagues do and have been put on from above for no extra pay. To a point this has stopped, due to me having had enough of it.

Currently we are having a very quiet time in the industry, lots of companies are laying staff off, we're not at the minute but it is on the cards if 2 potential jobs don't come off. All are worried about our jobs, some more than me as I have shown what I can do and am capable and have the experience and qualifications to work in all areas of the business (though at times this is a hassle more than a benefit as I get changed from sector to sector as the business needs).

Also, being as the industry is small, word of mouth means a lot more than qualifications. Pretty much every job application to any company results in the odd call here and there asking of you're any good before they even decide to interview you.

So sometimes, depending on the industry obviously, going that extra can pay off later on in your career
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    farmerboy wrote: »

I'm in a similar situation, but luckily am paid a very decent wage as the industry and role I'm in demands that. I do go over and above what my colleagues do and have been put on from above for no extra pay. To a point this has stopped, due to me having had enough of it.

This reminds me of a slightly different scenario at work many years ago.

There were several short term temporary promotions over the years (with appropriate pay increase) which were always offered to Colleague A who always accepted. However one day A turned down the offer on the grounds he was never offered a permanent promotion. So it was offered to Colleague B who accepted.

A few months later a permanent promotion became available and it was offered to and accepted by

Colleague B
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • oriondriver
    Options
    Before you decide on sacking him, ask him why he's doing that and thinks he can get away with it.

That way you'll learn something for the future and maybe about your business.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very interesting how many of the replies on here were posted in working hours.. from all those whiter than white...
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Very interesting how many of the replies on here were posted in working hours.. from all those whiter than white...

How would you know everybodies working hours, or even if all the respondents are currently working at all?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure