Car Hire: Credit card query

Hi,

Not sure if I should post this here or over on the credit card board, please move if appropriate.

Mr HP and I are travelling south for a funeral in a few weeks and need to book a hire car from the airport. Mr HP would be the main driver (I would not drive). During my research, I see that most (all?) require him to have a credit card for the Collision Damage Waiver.

The only credit card he has is a 0% balance transfer card, can he use this? I am rather reluctant as we follow the golden rule of 'DO NOT SPEND on a 0% BT card' and would be worried of the potential consequences. I know some companies just ring fence the amount, but some actually charge and then refund, what would happen to our 0% card in this instance?

Would a company accept my credit card for the CDW even if I wasn't the 'main' driver? I realise I could be the main driver but I'm a lot less confident city driving than hubby is and would be terrified of damaging the car!

Any advice/help/tips would be much appreciated. I haven't ever hired a car before so it's a learning curve!

HP.

PS: I am going to look at getting independent cover for the CDW
DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure