How to calculate cost of commute to a single place of work?

Options

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 April 2019 at 4:45AM
    Options
    Remember to check that your insurance policy includes commuting or better still business use, if it turns out that your boss asks you to call in to anywhere else, like your old workplace. Many people have come a cropper on this assuming that standard S D and P covers commuting. It doesn't usually increase your premiums by much unless it is a job that carries enhanced risk, like carry valuable items or important people, or so called important people ie celebs.

If you don't have commuting or business use and you get stopped, it is a strict liability offence carries a 6 point £300 fixed penalty and can make holiday hires impossible as hire companies do not like insurance endorsements.

Personally I would ask them for the mileage x 0.45p per mile, and see what they say. Your insurance will be being used for getting to work purposes which it wasn't previously, so it is an included cost.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    Options
    If you claim mileage from your employer then you need business cover even if its commuting. HMRC will probably jump on being paid mileage for commuting

If they just give you an additional fixed £x per week extra to cover additional costs then you don't but that will be taxed as part of your normal pay
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2019 at 6:45AM
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    If you claim mileage from your employer then you need business cover even if its commuting. HMRC will probably jump on being paid mileage for commuting

If they just give you an additional fixed £x per week extra to cover additional costs then you don't but that will be taxed as part of your normal pay
    No you don't, not if he's simply driving to a single place of work.

OP, the standard rate of £0.45 is a reasonable starting point, the HMRC figure is supposed to take into account the full cost of motoring eg. fuel, depreciation, wear & tear etc.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even if they offer you less and the 45ppm, you're still really lucky to be offered anything for relatively short distance move.

Most companies just take the stance that your commute is your problem, even if they've caused it, because from what I understand, the workplace has to move a substantial distance before you're entitled to any compensation/redundancy.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Even if they offer you less and the 45ppm, you're still really lucky to be offered anything for relatively short distance move.

Most companies just take the stance that your commute is your problem, even if they've caused it, because from what I understand, the workplace has to move a substantial distance before you're entitled to any compensation/redundancy.

Probably some but not most .
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lopsyfa wrote: »
    That will be commiting tax fraud. For more information:
    https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-business-travel-mileage/rules-for-tax

Thanks, I missed that, then just claim 45 pence a mile. :A
  • user1168934
    user1168934 Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks very much guys for all your replies. I don't know at the moment how it is all going to work (claim after use or fixed amount or something else). I think I will stick with the normal 45p for now and deal with the tax or insurance implications later.
    Sea_Shell wrote: »

Well, they have not offered anything at all yet. All they have said is that everyone come up with a number and then there will be a discussion.
    Hopefully, they will offer something. Driving costs are one thing, for me the increased childcare costs due to increased commute time is the real killer - let's see.
    Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
    Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
    Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
    Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
    Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But you can choose your hard.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    12 miles each way? You should be thankful you've had such an unusually short commute until now.

FWIW, I think they're being very generous in offering anything. Asking for 45p/mile (for what period? Indefinitely...?) is a definite mickey-take. Over an 8hr work day, it's equivalent to a £1.35/hr pay rise.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lopsyfa wrote: »
    That will be commiting tax fraud. For more information:
    https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-business-travel-mileage/rules-for-tax

Why? Tax is still going to be paid on the grossed up allowances
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much guys for all your replies. I don't know at the moment how it is all going to work (claim after use or fixed amount or something else). I think I will stick with the normal 45p for now and deal with the tax or insurance implications later.

Well, they have not offered anything at all yet. All they have said is that everyone come up with a number and then there will be a discussion.
    Hopefully, they will offer something. Driving costs are one thing, for me the increased childcare costs due to increased commute time is the real killer - let's see.

I really think you should work it out based on how much your car costs. Your going to be making a big profit if you get 45p per mile and if you take the time to work out exactly how much your car will cost then they are more likely to accept it because your being reasonable.

As a comparison my car which does on average 38mpg and including all the servicing and maintenance works out at 26p per mile using expensive premium fuel. So going in with a cost of 45p per mile they may think your trying your luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure