Amazon Flex - Tips and Opinions

Options
2»

Comments

• Charles2988
    Options
    MrHarvey wrote: »
    Hi Theoretica

Yes that’s the gov link that was in the article I mention. Thanks for posting!

Reading through it, it reiterates what I mentioned previously - self-employed income less than £1000 doesn’t have to be declared. Is that your understanding?

If so, I hope it helps others as it’s not something that I’ve heard mentioned from speaking to other people!

I new to amazon flex uk, I'm driving my own car but do I really need business insurance?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I new to amazon flex uk, I'm driving my own car but do I really need business insurance?

Why wouldnt you?
    More so its not just buisniess cover. its courier/delivery insurance.
  • General_Grant
    Options

If your current insurance is "social, domestic, pleasure, commuting" then you need the extra business use insurance.
    Read your insurance policy documents: you will need to tell them of a change of circumstances.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Of course you do? It's being used for business use? Why pay for insurance at all if you aren't going to be covered.

Mind only increased by about 40 a year, so was wasnt to bad for me - I occasionally drive for work during the day (a couple of times a year), so was lucky and work paid for the increase.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    Of course you do? It's being used for business use? Why pay for insurance at all if you aren't going to be covered.

Mind only increased by about 40 a year, so was wasnt to bad for me - I occasionally drive for work during the day (a couple of times a year), so was lucky and work paid for the increase.

Business insurance and insurance for using your vehicle as a work vehicle is a different thing.
    I bet most of these drivers are on social or at best business cover with most uninsured for delivery.
  • Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If your current insurance is "social, domestic, pleasure, commuting" then you need the extra business use insurance.
    Read your insurance policy documents: you will need to tell them of a change of circumstances.

Business use is not enough that only covers for carriage of own goods. Hire and reward insurance is what's required and it's very expensive.
    I looked into it last Christmas as I have my own van for my business use but to be legally covered to deliver for Amazon was going to be £2k a year extra or over £3k if I wanted to insure the goods in transit
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lomast wrote: »
    Business use is not enough that only covers for carriage of own goods. Hire and reward insurance is what's required and it's very expensive.
    I looked into it last Christmas as I have my own van for my business use but to be legally covered to deliver for Amazon was going to be £2k a year extra or over £3k if I wanted to insure the goods in transit

I was thinking this as well as the small increases in insurance mentioned above sound in line with adding business use but not the necessary hire and reward which as you say is usually very expensive. As an example:
    Business cover will be included automatically (when your policy is purchased through our website) for you and your spouse or partner if you have had a civil partnership ceremony and live at the same address, unless either of you hold one of the following occupations:

Motor Trade
    Retired
    Housewife/Househusband
    Student
    Unemployed
    Chauffeur working on a hire and reward basis
    Courier/Driver working on a hire and reward basis and/or delivering goods that they or their employer do not own

https://www.directline.com/car-cover

Anyone doing courier work with only business use insurance is uninsured which is a hefty six points if caught by the police and likely higher insurance premiums for a while.
  • engineer_amy
    Options
    MrHarvey wrote: »
    Hi Theoretica

Yes that’s the gov link that was in the article I mention. Thanks for posting!

Reading through it, it reiterates what I mentioned previously - self-employed income less than £1000 doesn’t have to be declared. Is that your understanding?

If so, I hope it helps others as it’s not something that I’ve heard mentioned from speaking to other people!

I would disagree here - the self employed income up to £1000 would only not need to be declared if you had no other income. From the same link as above
    You must tell HMRC if you have:
    As you are employed elsewhere, and presumably earning more than £2500 per annum, you would need to register and include your self employed earnings
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport