I'm not bitter, BUT. ....

in Compers Chat Corner
18 replies 4.5K views
I can't believe I've just seen a prolific comper (who I know has multi accounts etc and yet wins an unreasonable amount constantly) actually have the audacity to post their ebay selling prizes:( on the same twitter they win with!!

I mean COME ON!!!! :mad:

Replies

• dontonedontone Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    See, when it comes to stuff like this. I know that some have multiple accounts, but, I never seem come across these folk.
    I have come across some that win all the time (especially at Christmas. One in particular kept getting mentioned). And have also come across a couple of people who think it is their divine right to win all the time.
    It would be nice to know who to avoid, but unfortunately, any mention of names as a way of naming & shaming would more than likely get the thread closed. It was bad enough when the 'selling your soul' thread got closed, and that was designed to highlight the lengths people go to to win.
    But, yes, no problem with people flogging stuff if they win it and need the cash. But blatant behaviour like this feels like they are rubbing it in. No need for it.
    Be Lucky.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • MakeandsaveMakeandsave Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe I've just seen a prolific comper (who I know has multi accounts etc and yet wins an unreasonable amount constantly) actually have the audacity to post their ebay selling prizes:( on the same twitter they win with!!

I mean COME ON!!!! :mad:

Let me know please.
    Jan Wins: .
  • bubblebobble23bubblebobble23 Forumite
    702 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    You know I can't name I'd get a card! again. I have no problem with doing what you want with your wins but advertising the for sale posts on the same account you win with. phew.

Talking of selling you soul, Ive seen an account claiming to be a charity recently. Begging on every competition claiming they will donate the prize to good causes.
    Again do what you like with your wins but begging and guilt tripping what is clearly not genuine. eh.
    Now I know charities often get many donations for events/raffles etc Where I work we donate lots and lots to charity who write in or come in. I know other business do too so begging on competitions really isn't needed.
  • grannybikergrannybiker Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me the begging for a charity is in the same vein as using an illness or sad, even tragic event to win. Yea, they/you may well deserve it, but so do many others. Just don't!
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • Bobble5366Bobble5366 Forumite
    688 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    If they have multiple accounts - facebook and twitter should be made aware ? Their 'greed' should be curtailed ?
  • edited 25 April 2019 at 8:26PM
    serenity2012serenity2012 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 April 2019 at 8:26PM
    Re the multiple accounts I absolutely agree that it is out of order and should be stopped. However, re selling comp wins, so what? Why are you so irate about it? It's their property and nobody elses business what they do with it. I sell most of my prizes. Maybe concentrate on what you're doing and don't worry so much about what others are up to. Nothing at all wrong with selling prizes. Most do. The whole point of this forum in particular is to save money or find ways to make money. Comping is a way to make money. I doubt they care what anyone else thinks so no point in blowing a gasket about it. If you know they have multiple accounts then report them to the relevant people. Re the selling though it is perfectly legal and nothing you can do about it. No idea why that in particular is bothering you so much. Doesn't affect you at all.
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff :)
    :beer::beer::)
  • edited 26 April 2019 at 11:29AM
    sleepyjonessleepyjones Forumite
    6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2019 at 11:29AM
    I don't think the Op has any problem with people selling their prizes, the onus here is that they are advertising their "goods for sale" on the same channel that they won them from ... so any competition host who gave them the prize can see that they're immediately selling them, Which in itself isn't a bad thing, it's just a bit silly and could be pertained to be a bit disrespectful to the competition host ... I'm sure they know a lot of the prizes get sold, but you shouldn't really be waving and pointing it out to them.

As far as having multiple accounts is concerned, doesn't really bother me ... if i had the patience / inclination / could be bothered I'd probably do it too, but I'm too lazy. We all lie a bit when we enter comps, having multiple accounts is just a variation of that ... plus I've never won 1 thing on Twitter in over 3 years so I could probably have 100 accounts and still not get anything.
  • serenity2012serenity2012 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

As far as having multiple accounts is concerned, doesn't really bother me ... if i had the patience / inclination / could be bothered I'd probably do it too, but I'm too lazy. We all lie a bit when we enter comps, having multiple accounts is just a variation of that ... plus I've never won 1 thing on Twitter in over 3 years so I could probably have 100 accounts and still not get anything.

lol I agree with everything you say. I can't imagine having the energy to have multiple social media accounts. it doesn't bother me much because the word competition in itself means we're battling against each other to win a prize. There is such a huge cauldron stirring over on facebook though. whole groups of women hiding behind a screen that set up groups to simply hunt down people with more than one comping fb account. They literally try to make their lives a misery online. To me they're even worse than the person that seems to be taking over their every waking moment. Was it silly to sell the prizes from the same account? Of course. Do I wish they didn't have multiple accounts? Of course. My problem with the OP was the obvious anger and angry emoji's whilst at the same time saying they are not bitter. Of course they are.

Re lying etc in comps sometimes. If I like a prize and want to win it I will enter for those engaged to be married, for those with young children, for those with three heads. Most people as you say fib a bit. I have no moral quandary over that because I'm competing to win something i want to either keep or sell.
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff :)
    :beer::beer::)
  • MakeandsaveMakeandsave Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can not understand people who have multiple account, I find it so hard doing it from one account!

I sell my prizes that i can not use or gift, The reason why is so i can afford holidays or extras when i win holidays. I love my hobby! I have made loads of friends on facebook a few enemy's lol. But the main thing is its helped me with my depression.
    Jan Wins: .
  • hdh74hdh74 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if having multiple accounts is cheating if it's on twitter - I know it's not allowed on facebook - unless the competition says only one entry per person. I do wonder how anyone finds the time to run loads, unless they have some sort of automated thing - and that seems like cheating to me, but then if they're clever enough to make a programme or something is it really unless the competition says no automated entries?
    It's all very debatable really.
    I've sold stuff in the past, don't win enough now lol, and don't have time to enter for stuff that I don't have a use for.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides