What do you think?

Of this....
My O.H and I disagree.I know someone who is running the London marathon for the first time. She has put in miles and miles of running over the months, she’s ready.

When she registered she was approached by a charity and she’s agreed to raise for them. This charity on completing the marathon have offered a massage, much needed I should think. This is where we disagree; they then take each runner and three supporters for a meal at The Waldorf. Surely the money could be best spent on their own charity?
Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2019 at 3:23PM
    It could be. But without volunteers they won't get given anything.

It's a thank you, yes a rather big one, but still a thank you.

Volunteers would have raised way more than this will cost, so I understand your reasons but believe with so many charities now, you have to give thanks as a way to get more people to help.

The meal will most likely be very heavily reduced too. Lots of places offer free stuff on the show off a medal.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would expect the Waldorf have given the charity a number of sittings at a vastly reduced rate as a promotional element, or tax gift kick back to offset some of their corporation tax etc.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There are quite a few eateries offering a complimentary meal / drinks upon presentation of a medal...not sure about supporters though
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    suejb2 wrote: »
    Of this....
    My O.H and I disagree.I know someone who is running the London marathon for the first time. She has put in miles and miles of running over the months, she’s ready.

When she registered she was approached by a charity and she’s agreed to raise for them. This charity on completing the marathon have offered a massage, much needed I should think. This is where we disagree; they then take each runner and three supporters for a meal at The Waldorf. Surely the money could be best spent on their own charity?

Um, have you done any research to find out whether the Waldorf are donating/greatly reducing cost of meals for charity runners?

As an aside, for the last 3 years on London Marathon Sunday I've been at airports leaving London and have seen many many marathon runners, none of whom have looked like they would want to sit in the the Waldorf for dinner!!!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    10Hospitality station at The Waldorf Hilton
    The Waldorf Hilton on Aldwych, just off the Strand, is offering all medal holders and their support teams free access to its pop-up Marathon Hospitality Station. Situated in the hotel’s Tea Room, the Waldorf Hilton team will be ready and waiting to serve complimentary homemade lemonade, energy shots and energy bars from 1pm until 4pm on Sunday 22 April.

This was 2018 which doesn’t look that O.T.T for just running +26 miles. I’ review my opinion!
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure