Lapland. Yes or no

Options
2»

Comments

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Unyons wrote: »
    I've been thinking about taking the kids on a once in a lifetime holiday to lapland this year. I was looking at the 3 or 4 days all inclusive where sledging, reindeer rides, husky rides, meals, seeing santa and a present etc are all included.
    The kids are 9 and 10.
    I cant make up my mind. I'm a single mum so it would just be myself and the kids. Would it be better to have two adults? What prices have you paid if you've been?
    Thanks

Doesn't matter what anyone has done or paid. It is YOUR decision.

Look, if you can afford it, go for it.

If affordability is an issue I would leave it out frankly. Otherwise go and enjoy!
  • Diddidi
    Diddidi Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went on my own with my twins when they were 7 and did the 4 day trip and we had the most amazing time. Fortunately the northern lights were visible at that time so that was a tick off the bucket list and I can’t put a value on seeing the twins’ faces when Santa brought out their letters. Yes, it was expensive but I don’t regret a single moment. They could go on other holidays at any time but to take them to Lapland while they still believed in Santa was going to be a limited opportunity. And as the others have said, there are the reindeer rides, cross country skiing, huskies etc. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Not to put you off, but someone on a telly chat show (can't remember who) was talking about their trip to meet Santa in Lapland, they were expecting the kids to be really excited, but they were "meh", and when asked why they weren't really bothered said "we met him last week at the shopping centre" :rotfl:
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I went on my own with my kids when they were 7, 5 and 2 (the youngest just turned 22 last week).

It cost a lot for the three or four days but we still talk about it every year - best holiday ever.

We went to Rovaniemi and it was just lovely. We got all the gear for the snow and did all the activities. It was minus 20 while we were there and I still remember the 'shoosh' every time I walked outside as my eyebrows, eyelashes and nose hairs froze instantaneously :rotfl:.

No comparison with a sun holiday or skiing holiday, it is a unique experience. We particularly loved the underground workshop with the little train and we still hang the ornaments they made as Santa's Elves on the Christmas tree every year.

I'd say go if you can, and go now! We can't wait to bring my grandson in another year or two.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went on a day trip 3 years ago with 2 grandchildren aged 4 and whilst it was a long day they loved it and we are taking 2 more grandchildren this year. Not sure if there would be enough to do for 3 or 4 days for 4 year olds but would actually love to go as an adult for that length of time. Days are short so unsure what to do with children in the evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure