PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Being part gifted a property - advice needed

Options
13»

Comments

• Technoholic
    Technoholic Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Wow. Second person in a week entering into BTL at a known upfront ongoing loss.

With respect, Is that your problem?

All I came here to ask was what I need to know to complete the process, I appreciate advice, positive or negative, but this is neither.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No it's of course it's not my problem. Just strange that someone has come onto money saving expert for "advice" and then said "shuddup your face I'm deliberately losing money for sentimental reasons associated with a rental flat, that I will be subsidising strangers to live in. "
  • Technoholic
    Options
    Well I asked for advice regarding how to buy it and associated costs, not what I do with it subsequently, although I’m not sure how I’m subsidising strangers by letting it out, I said I didn’t car about profits right now, I didn’t say I’d let it out cheaply, I said anything I make will be a bonus so by letting it at market rates even any small profit I make will be a bonus, after recouping my investment costs of course.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm aware about the extra SDLT, the tax implications, etc but when it comes to the details, that is what I was asking about.

I need to pay the higher rate of SDLT on the full 200k
    Higher rate SDLT on £200,000 is £7,500. You might be able to get the SDLT down to £2,910 if you can structure the purchase and the mortgage as a concessionary purchase for £97,000. See these threads: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5946894/concessionary-purchase-stamp-duty and https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5941446/concessionary-purchase
  • Technoholic
    Options
    SDLT_Geek wrote: »
    Higher rate SDLT on £200,000 is £7,500. You might be able to get the SDLT down to £2,910 if you can structure the purchase and the mortgage as a concessionary purchase for £97,000. See these threads: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5946894/concessionary-purchase-stamp-duty and https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5941446/concessionary-purchase

Thanks that’s very useful reading. I think the aim is to structure it like this so it’s good information.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There is another article about concessionary purchase / gifted equity here. https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-events/blog/bank-mum-and-dad-concessionary-purchases/
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    YES, IT IS.

It is 100% a business transaction. Your father is looking to close his business down and sell the business asset. You are looking to buy the business asset and start in the same business. The business is residential letting.

Sure, you can decide to run an unprofitable business for the sake of emotion if you want, but it makes for a very bad business decision on so many levels...
    You can choose to see it that way if you want.
    I'm not choosing anything. I - and you - have to see it that way because that's the reality of the situation.

Residential letting is a business. Full stop. End of.
    A property that you are letting is a business asset. Full stop. End of.

Tell me I'm wrong in that.

I see it in the same way as if he gifted me an heirloom
    Fine - but why would you then rent that heirloom out...?

Can you not see that this is the bit that's going to cause you problems?
    You have emotion invested in the flat. That makes it a really bad business asset - because you are going to have emotion invested in the let. It's your asset - it's your tenant's home. They have an expectation of quiet enjoyment of it. While they live there, what they do there and to it is their business. If it's left at the end of the tenancy in worse condition than reasonable wear and tear, you can charge them for the costs of restitution... But that does not sit well with emotional involvement in the property.

Apart from "My dad used to own this flat", what's special about this particular flat?
    Why is there emotional involvement in this particular flat?
    Would your decisions about the residential letting business be different if it was a different flat?
    The equity in the property is my "gift", subject to external factors, that's all I care to maintain until such time as I need to cash it in for other purposes, or to give to my children etc etc.
    By George, I think he's got it!

If you were given the exact same amount of money as the equity, would your business decision be to buy THIS flat and choose to rent it?
  • Technoholic
    Technoholic Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I would buy this flat with my own money.

No, I won’t bend to your will because you and a thousand other people say I should. If I didn’t have a tenant in the property, I would probably just leave it empty and pay the mortgage myself, if that means it costs me money, fine, I’ve still got my equity and I’m gaining more. End of for me.

Yes, if you must know there is a reason for the emotional attachment to thanks property that is not something I need to discuss but the fact is that even if there wasn’t and my dad was gifting me a different house/flat/money/rocks/sand then I would still believe the same. Sorry if that sounds facetious but I’m trying to make my point.

Plus, the main point here is, does it really matter. All I asked for was advice on buying the property, the rest and reasons are up to me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport