We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Lawn problems

Options
Ader1
Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
I scarified the lawn at the end of the summer/autumn and reseeded. It looks terrible. I've obviously done something wrong. There was a lot of thatch which I attempted to remove. What should I do to get a nice green lawn? Thanks.

Here's a pic of it I took today. It looks even worse in the pic than in reality. :-(

Porfa1.jpg

Comments

• martinthebandit
    Options
    You need to do some reseeding, preferably with some good quality seed.
  • Ader1
    Options
    Thanks. I am aware that some reseeding is needed. I was thinking maybe I should dress the lawn with a layer of top-soil or something? Any experts out there?
  • Justagardener
    Options
    You haven't done anything wrong ...it needs water and as you are aware, overseeding. You could seed and then top dress..it depends how much you want to spend. The best way is to scratch the surface with a metal time rake, spread the seed and then rake again...then little and very often, water it. Don't flood it just keep the surface damp...and with this weeks weather it will germinate by next weekend. In the middle of May feed it with just a lawn fertiliser like lawn builder, don't use a weed and feed the new grass is not strong enough to cope with that. You will have a great lawn by the 1st June.
  • DIYDave1
    DIYDave1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Water/Seeds or do what I done last year and get Artificial Grass :D Best thing I ever done!
  • Ader1
    Options
    You haven't done anything wrong ...it needs water and as you are aware, overseeding. You could seed and then top dress..it depends how much you want to spend. The best way is to scratch the surface with a metal time rake, spread the seed and then rake again...then little and very often, water it. Don't flood it just keep the surface damp...and with this weeks weather it will germinate by next weekend. In the middle of May feed it with just a lawn fertiliser like lawn builder, don't use a weed and feed the new grass is not strong enough to cope with that. You will have a great lawn by the 1st June.

If I seed then top dress.....how much top dressing can I put on top of the seeds? Thanks for the helpful replies.
  • Justagardener
    Options
    Just enough to cover the seed, grass seed needs to be covered and be damp to germinate.
  • Ader1
    Options
    OK thanks.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    What do you cover the seeds with please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure