PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Married, but want to buy a house on my own

Options
2»

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Leasville wrote: »
    I haven’t spoken to him about it yet as I want to know where I stand on my own first, but to be honest I think he would be cooperative about it. He’s quite proud when it comes to money and I don’t think he’d be the kind of person to try and claim something that he knows is not his, even if we did have a bad breakup, but obviously I can’t risk £80k on an assumption! :)

Where is the £80,000 at the moment?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Divorce before you buy.

If you decide to get back together later down the line then make further arrangements.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leasville wrote: »
    We may end up staying together and if we do then great, the house may eventually be in both our names, but given that only I will be paying for it, I want to protect it.
    I know you've asked about the finances rather than your relationship, but if you've any hopes of saving your marriage I think you should be very wary about buying a house on your own now.
    Even if the financial part goes fine, if you and your partner do stay together then the house will always be "the house that Leasville bought on their own whilst we were separated". If I was in your partner's shoes, I think I'd really struggle to ever see it as my own home. And if I had any hopes of saving the marriage, I'd be upset that my spouse made such a huge financial decision without consulting me.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it has been a short marriage, and you have kept your financial affairs separate, and you bought the house with your own money - then I think it is very unlikely that he could claim a share of the house.

But you might want to wait just to be safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure