PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Conveyancing process time ?

Options
Hello we have just accepted an offer on our house 10 days ago just wondering on average how long the conveyancing process is ? And a rough timescale until exchange of contracts we are ready to move out !
Thanks

Comments

• firsttimeworrywart
    Options
    Hi Soffee,

I'll post the usual reply 'how long is a piece of string?'

It all depends upon whether there is a chain, any issues that need to be addressed, if cash buyer or with a lender etc

The 'average' process can take anything from 6 weeks - 15 weeks or even up to 8 months.. you can never really tell.

Hope it goes smoothly for you.
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    Leasehold v freehold can impact timelines

Searches and covenants are other things that can impact the process

How long is a piece of string is the only answer that can be given
  • Soffee_ox
    Soffee_ox Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies it’s freehold there is no chain as the buyer has nothing to sell ���� Hoping it isn’t too long.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The 'average' property transaction takes around 10 - 12 weeks.

Yours may be quicker, or it may be slower.
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    12 weeks for my sale, 36 weeks for my buy. Get all the paperwork ready, everything going back to the year dot. I had 40+ questions and certificates were required for everything, even from 6 years before I moved in. Very stressful process
  • septemberbaby
    Options
    Soffee_ox wrote: »
    Hello we have just accepted an offer on our house 10 days ago just wondering on average how long the conveyancing process is ? And a rough timescale until exchange of contracts we are ready to move out !
    Thanks

Its so annoying isnt it...

It really is the unknown.

Im so desperate for people to even guess to just give me an idea
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Similar current thread. You're not alone lol.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5990925
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • s_glover
    s_glover Posts: 653 Forumite
    Options
    Its so annoying isnt it...

It really is the unknown.

I'm so desperate for people to even guess to just give me an idea

What's the use in asking people to guess. All anyone can ever do is give you a typical time scale (8-12 weeks). Some conveyancing processes are quicker if everything is very straightforward, some a lot longer. Until you are on that journey there's no way of knowing.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    Soffee_ox wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies it’s freehold there is no chain as the buyer has nothing to sell ���� Hoping it isn’t too long.

We are currently 23 weeks into a supposedly simple probate sale :mad:
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • Soffee_ox
    Soffee_ox Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Ahhh no hopefully things complete for you soon. This is our first time selling so all new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure