Section 75 Claim - Hotel Overcharged Me!

Options
124»

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    I'm glad you posted this as Ben8282's description of hotel procedures was nothing like I've experienced either.

Seconding this, I've stayed in many types of accommodation and can't think of any where they've put the room rate on my card key wallet.

I've also booked through booking.com many time, and hotels.com and trivago and it's never been mentioned at check in except at Hilton resorts who like to remind you that they don't credit HHonours points on third party bookings.
  • makeni555
    makeni555 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April 2019 at 2:15PM
    Options
    As I think the only person who has worked on the other side of the desk in relation to Booking.com on this thread I think I might be able to add a bit of extra information not necessarily to the OP at this point but to other posters.

For Booking.com Rates they are set by the hotel - however, these rates are complicated and 'bugs' do exist in the system (Booking.com hotel support refer to them as such). Booking.com work as an agency not merchant (e.g. some Expedia rates are pre sold blocks done under a wholesale contract though less common now due to ETP).

When these bugs are discovered usually after a reservation at the wrong price has been made a conversation is had between the hotel and their account manager (not your customer service dept as a guest) and usually the guest gets to pay the original rate and the hotel invoices booking.com for the balance.

Bugs can exist because you can start out with a base rate of say £100 per night then there is a discount for single traveller, a supplement for an extra bed (in your typical room double room with capacity for an extra single bed). Then there is a different under/over occupancy for kids. That 5 different rates then on top of you add cancellation policies such as 'room only' 'breakfast' occasionally 'Half board' then there is the one that generally causes problems - cancellation policy - typically expect a flexible and a non refundable rate then that rate varies every night and is updated usually daily in a large chain.

The hotel is also working with Expedia and TripAdvisor and Google Hotel Ads so it would be reasonable to assume that if the hotel had set the rate wrong the rate would be at £600 instead of £3000 on all channels (websites). As the rate was much much lower on Booking.com only it would suggest the issue was with the xml or the agent (Booking.com).

In this case Booking.com should have covered the balance but without having arranged it I would Imagine it it too late now. It is usually impossible as a rate plan from that long ago will be inactive now.

I would add I've never had a 'bug' situation on Expedia or Laterooms though.

A tip for my fellow mse'rs - Booking.com change a 15% commission on al reservations - a lot of hotels now mark their rates up to reflect this - if you call the desk they will often reduce it by 15% as it makes no difference to them as they still make the same amount on the booking. Expedia usually around 20%.

This is why they won't credit HHonours points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure