Faulty track pump

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
2 replies 949 views
Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
4.1K posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
I've got a Zefal hp malamut track pump. (Must be about 20 plus years old!).

Got the tires up to pressure on my bike ok last weekend, but when I came to do my wife's bike there was clearly something wrong with the pump. During the up-stroke there seemed to be a hissing of escaping air from the barrel of the pump and the tires actually seemed to be deflating. Had resort to a hand pump and that seemed ok (but bl00dy hard work!) so I presume it's a fault with the track pump and not the tire valve.

Does this sound like I need a new track pump?

Replies

• martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I imagine the washer on the plunger has perished or worn. Zefal supply spares

http://www.zefal.com/en/139-pumps

if 20 year old pump parts are still available.

I've got pumps working a bit better by putting some oil inside the pump to improve the sealing. I hesitate to recommend this as it is probably not a good long term solution as it may be detrimental to the pump or tyres.
  • edited 15 April 2019 at 3:19PM
    Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 April 2019 at 3:19PM
    Thanks. I seem to remember as a kid (many decades ago!) using Vaseline(?) to make a bike pump washer more airtight. Will take apart and have a look.

EDIT: I note on their website they mention using a few drops of oil.