🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Advice please. going to court for speeding :-(

Options
vickyj
vickyj Posts: 489 Forumite
Hello all
Would really appriciate an info on what i can expect here. I had a fixed penalty notice through a while ago and due to issues (yea i know we'vall got em) i completely forgot about it . I have just recieved a court summons to appear in december. Apparently have to answer another offencef failing to produce documents but i was never given a producer so i do not know what this is all about There is no option to pay the fine anymore and so it is not in the hands of the courts but i really wold love to kow what i can expect. I have ben suffering from exhaustion for a while and was perscribed ongoing medication to assist with this.is it worth mentioning this to the courts just to show that i was not just tring to avoid paying the fine or am i best just shutting p and taking at all on the chin.
thanks fo an advice

Vicky
:D The glass is always half full, no exceptions !!:D

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Vicky J. Sorry to read about your problems. Before all the self-righteous perfect motorists get on board this thread (teach you not to speed, etc), try http://www.pepipoo.com/Law. AFAIK courts do take a dim view of people who ignore fixed penalty notices, but you'll get help from pepipoo. Good luck.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    Vicky, do you have household insurance? If so does it include legal expences cover? If the answer to these two questions is yes give your insurance provider a call and see if they will provide a solicitor to help you out.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You really should take legal advice on this as you may have mitigating circumstances that a solicitor will know best how to put to the court.
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Think you answered your own question.....just turn up say sorry and arrange how much you pay off at a time and get on with life.

If you cant remember being given a HORT1 or also forgot that, either plead not guilty in which case the officer who stopped you would give evidence or if you did forget, just say you forgot, oopppps sorry.

Dont forget to take all your documents to court which covered you on the day. Insurance, licence and MOT. You can go thorugh the pispoor.co.uk site, but it doesnt really alter facts...you forgot, what more can you say ? does happen as it obviously wasnt something important to you. Good luck
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    If I were you, I'd keep absolutely silent about the medication as you could be admitting you're actually unfit to drive because of its effects on your concentration especially as you are LEGALLY OBLIGED to inform the DVLA of any condition or illness you're suffering which could affect your ability to drive and I'd say exhaustion would be one of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport