New Post Advanced Search

Can I make my own Will

edited 24 April 2019 at 11:14AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
16 replies 6.3K views
CacranCacran Forumite
512 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭
edited 24 April 2019 at 11:14AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
Wonder how hard it is to make your own Will.

I have seen that you can get templates, but how do they stand up, legally?
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Keep on trucking!

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very easy - to get it wrong.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get a home made will signed and witnessed correctly, it will stand up fine. If you mess that bit up, your executors may find that the will is worthless, or sometimes worse than useless. And it's actually quite easy to mess that bit up.

It also may not say what you think it says, or may not cover all the eventualities.

For that reason, on the Death, Funerals & Probate board we generally recommend (strongly) that you use a solicitor. Not a 'will-writer' who offers to come to your home and offers all sorts of extra services (at a cost), but who may not be legally qualified.

Have a think about what you want to achieve in your will, think about the 'what if' situations (one of your beneficiaries dies before you, who should inherit their share?), think about suitable people to act as Executors (not the solicitors unless there are really good reasons for that), phone around a few local firms and ask what they'd charge.

If your will is "I leave everything to X, or if they die before me to Y", that's generally a simple will, for which a quote should be easily obtainable. The solicitor will say that they'll charge more for a more complex will.

The thing is, by the time your will matters, you won't be around to see what kind of mayhem it causes is it's invalid, or doesn't say what you intended.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • LandyAndyLandyAndy Forumite
    26.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget this

https://www.willaid.org.uk/
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cacran wrote: »
    Wonder how hard it is to make your own Will.

I have seen that you can get templates, but how do they stand up, legally?

How "simple" do you think your estate is ? do you own property, husband/wife/partner , children (what ages), do you owe more than you have , how old are you. What are the what ifs I die first, beneficiary dies first .......................

Solicitors make a little from wills they do, lots from DIY and will writers.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a small estate with no property and don’t have children by someone other than your current spouse / partner then you are probably OK, otherwise do it properly via a solisitor.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I make my own Will

Yes, but don't!
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    3.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought my will would be really simple - just everything goes to my son. Never occured to me to think about the what ifs. Thank goodness the solicitor did. But don't use them as executor.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    And don't forget this

https://www.willaid.org.uk/

We used Will Aid and paid a little extra for changing our home ownership to tenants in common and the 'what ifs'.

However my mother did DIY as hers was simply leaving everything to her 3 children shared equally and naming 2 of us as executors. I had no problems with it.

So I'd say you could risk your own if it's very simple and straightforward but much safer to use a solicitor but agree don't use them as executors.
  • Any reason why a solicitor is not recommended as an executor?
  • LilElvisLilElvis Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    caz.fraser wrote: »
    Any reason why a solicitor is not recommended as an executor?

Their charges. They are professionals, and charge accordingly, even for the most simple administrative tasks.