Options
1235»

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Normally with my wife actually :D

Sleeping in a hotel bed is a bit different from buying someone else's used mattress. The former is unavoidable, the latter is not.

Yes it is.

The OP slept on it for one night.

The hotel mattress you are happy to sleep on will have been slept on night after night by numerous different people.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Presumably you never sleep on a hotel bed. only on your own!

There is a big difference.
    When I sleep in a hotel bed, I know that the bed has been used by many people before me but when I purchase what is advertised as a new mattress, I expect it it to have been unused by previous purchasers.

It's the same with hotel towels. They have been used and washed umpteen times before I get to use them but I certainly wouldn't expect the same if I was to buy a new item from a store.
  • Pootle1
    Pootle1 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sleeping in a hotel bed is a bit different from buying someone else's used mattress
    The answer to my original post depends on consumer rights (The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013) rather than personal distaste. By their actions John Lewis have decided that they were at fault in refusing a full refund (IMHO).

For further contemplation, if you buy a pair of shoes in a shop you purchase the actual pair you've tried on. How many other people have had their sweaty feet in there, with athletes' foot, warts and contagious nail infections?
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Options
    Pootle1 wrote: »
    For further contemplation, if you buy a pair of shoes in a shop you purchase the actual pair you've tried on. How many other people have had their sweaty feet in there, with athletes' foot, warts and contagious nail infections?

But again, like staying in a hotel, you know exactly what you are going to get when you buy a pair of shoes, which is a pair that you can assume have been tried on by other people and if someone doesn't like the idea of it, they won't buy from that shop.
    Pootle1 wrote: »
    By their actions John Lewis have decided that they were at fault in refusing a full refund (IMHO)
    Or maybe they've simply decided that it's not worth the time and effort in fighting the matter any further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure