Help please

Comments

• I really feel for you, but I'm another one advising caution - I know the areas you're looking at and don't think you're going to get what you're looking for, at least not without a very long wait. The rental market is so competitive.

I know you're keen to get out onto your own two feet, but in the meantime, how about using the time with your sister to do some trial runs of paying your way, budgeting (and sticking to it!) for a few months? That way when you do find somewhere, you'll have a far better idea of what you need to survive, and you'll be setting yourself up for success.

It's a huge step to be living alone, and budgeting, and trying to create a life for yourself in a new place, so baby-steps might be helpful to get you where you want to be in the long-run. It might take you more months than you intended, but it will be worth it :)
    NSD in Nov: 17
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0
    A perpetual work in progress.
    DFW - Going, going....still going! and new Savings diary - Saving, saving...still saving!
  • ellyroo
    ellyroo Posts: 50
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Long wait even if i go private? :( , The council looks like a no option tbh
  • I really don't want to pee on your dreams, but yep - the private market moves unbelievably fast. It's not unheard of for flats to be let the same day they're advertised. I'd also agree with GlasweJen's figures for what you'd need - even in Liberton area, as you're close to the hospitals and university there, so lots of demand for accomodation. This time of year is a tricky one too, as lots of students are looking for their flats for the next academic year (i.e. with leases from September) and landlords like having flats available to rent in August, as people will pay ridiculous prices for short term accommodation during the festivals.

I'm sorry this all sounds so negative - and you might get lucky, and find somewhere perfect in the city which is in budget, and get it before anyone beats you to it, (and I hope you do!). BUT, I think you might want to consider alternative options too. Maybe somewhere a bit further out (say Fife, or parts of Midlothian) which would be easy travelling distance to the city, but far cheaper to live, might be an idea? It's really hard when you're first starting out, and with little support, so I do wish you every luck.
    NSD in Nov: 17
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0
    A perpetual work in progress.
    DFW - Going, going....still going! and new Savings diary - Saving, saving...still saving!
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bear in mind that in the areas you're looking you'll be competing with students who have stable incomes and no council tax to pay, probably with jobs too. Landlords will them any day over an unemployed person who's benefits can change on the whim of the DWP, you still have to switch onto PIP which is no mean feat.

I remember having an income of SAAS bursary, student loan, income from PT job, DLA, working tax credits and living in morningside and even then finding the cost of living ridiculous and that was 12 years ago. Frankly I think you're living in la la land.
  • ellyroo
    Forumite
    edited 28 April 2019 at 1:06AM
    hmm! I think i'll take a bit of a while to think of maybe where maybe to head for, I might set my targets back to maybe Larbert which will be a lot easier.

Again forgive me as i'm like... a first time noob, i'm also known to be a bit of a all over the place ahah.

I'm just wondering, is the whole of midlothian off the books with students, or would areas like Dalkeith - Bonnyrigg - Balerno - Penicuik be easier?

If Midlothian/Edinburgh is off the Cards then, I'm a bit wary of glasgow having heard many a horror story from people i know living there about violence, Maybe forth valley would be the best bet to stick to?

im all over the place gfhgd
  • GlasweJen
    Forumite
    Where do you actually live now? What areas do you need to be able to access? Where does your family live?

You can't just drop a pin on the Central belt and hope for the best. I lived in Livingston for a while, the shops were amazing but it might not suit you.

I actually have a relative who lives in Larbert, good chippy but crawling with young boys at night hanging out around the shops and making a nuisance of themselves.

If your family are in Edinburgh would Linlithgow or Polmont not be better? On the train line and half way between Falkirk and Edinburgh?
  • ellyroo
    Forumite
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Where do you actually live now? What areas do you need to be able to access? Where does your family live?

You can't just drop a pin on the Central belt and hope for the best. I lived in Livingston for a while, the shops were amazing but it might not suit you.

I actually have a relative who lives in Larbert, good chippy but crawling with young boys at night hanging out around the shops and making a nuisance of themselves.

If your family are in Edinburgh would Linlithgow or Polmont not be better? On the train line and half way between Falkirk and Edinburgh?

In terms of area needed to Access, Larbert Via Train As i'll hopefully be commuting there Every monday or/and thursday and staying around 4pm to 11pm :D.

And Edinburgh (Slateford area) for Sports/Fitness :D As i'll be doing football around the pitch thing they have near the Corn exchange,

i loved living in polmont :3!, super recommend the area but trouble is my mumn lives there too and idk, lots of problems there i dont wanna get into maybe?

Right now im stationed in denny, but its kind of ... middle of nowhereish
  • GlasweJen
    Forumite
    Yeah Denny isn't great for transport links, what about the area around Falkirk high?

If Polmont is out (fair enough in the circumstances) I'd try there or Linlithgow as that railway line is really reliable.

Falkirk wise Camelon is well connected and you can change onto the FH line easily.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,418
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Goodluck with your plans

You have council tax at £40 and then £30 per month.

The Band A CT for Edinburgh is £95.64 a month inclusive of rates?

It may be worth doing a full SOA Unless I have missed something so you can get a proper view of your costs.
  • ellyroo
    Forumite
    edited 29 April 2019 at 1:12AM
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Yeah Denny isn't great for transport links, what about the area around Falkirk high?

If Polmont is out (fair enough in the circumstances) I'd try there or Linlithgow as that railway line is really reliable.

Falkirk wise Camelon is well connected and you can change onto the FH line easily.

My sister used to live in camelon! :D, it's got one of my favorite places to go for food too!, and the walk upto larbert is awesome!, if i can find a decent spot near the car garages i would maybe consider it!, though in terms of FV area Larbert is defo my number 1 pick :)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-60590643.html

This flat i've been super interested in, and i might apply for it in a few hours actually!, let me know what you think :)

I read also in my other thread if i can get my SPD off of my DLA, renting this place should be fairly hassle free!, and camelon does of course have its own aldi and with my bus pass it will be less trouble financially, and my sister lives in denny so it's only a Number 8 bus away :3

Plus i guess as said i'd like to live nearer a hospital (Gives me more peace of mind, even though i admit it's an anxiety problem..?) But i really like larbert :D, and my studio is only a 10 min walk away!

Also Tax wise i'm sure i qualified for a reduction? Least what the Benefits calculator told me :').

my dad also said for moving, you really should start ..smaller? and get yourself a Really good reference for future moves? so that spot in larbert interests me c:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure