IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Mot dangerous fail, driving once fixed

in Motoring
10 replies 646 views
I'm after some advice as can't seem to find any info when googling. My car failed its mot yesterday with a dangerous fault, back tyre bald. The garage didn't tell me the seriousness of driving with a dangerous fail so took the car home unknowingly. Since home I've changed the wheel to the spare and I'm taking it to be changed this afternoon.
I can't get the Mot retest until Monday morning. Can I drive it once the tyre is changed as the dangerous fault has been fixed and the previous Mot doesn't expire until next week?
TIA

Replies

• Ebe_ScroogeEbe_Scrooge Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes. In fact you can drive WITHOUT a valid MOT, as long as you are going only to a PRE-BOOKED MOT appointment.

Similar questions get asked a lot on here - the offence of driving without a valid MOT is totally unrelated to the offence of driving an unroadworthy vehicle. I know that's not exactly your question here, but I thought it worth mentioning.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    28K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You have a valid MOT
    The car no longer has a defect
    The end

But you were obliviously driving around with a major defect which left you open to causing an accident and risking points and a fine. How did you not notice, it should have been picked up on the checks you do every week. You need to pay more attention to your car, what else do you not check ?
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Look at it this way, you've had a lucky escape.
    No real harm's been done, and you haven't had the fine and points which you would have had if you'd been stopped by the police.
    As well as still having to replace the tyre.
    You need to check your tyre tread regularly, and the tyre pressures.
  • I had taken it to a different garage the week before for a pre mot check as the car is getting on a bit. They only mentioned it was getting close to the limit.
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The thing is that you should have known the tyre was getting near the limit. As already said by the others and myself it's dangerous, apart from being possibly very expensive not to check.
    Same with (at least) weekly checks under the bonnet. It can save you a potential breakdown or worse, as well as possibly avoiding things like running out of oil or coolant and blowing the engine up.
    It's all in the handbook for the car.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    I had taken it to a different garage the week before for a pre mot check as the car is getting on a bit. They only mentioned it was getting close to the limit.

Checking the tyres only when the MOT is near due is not sufficient. You should be checking them every few weeks at the most. Lots can happen to a tyre in a few weeks and not just the tread getting low.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is your previous MOT still in date?
  • Angus_OgAngus_Og Forumite
    329 Posts
    sheramber wrote: »
    Is your previous MOT still in date?

Read the opening post!
  • The garage didn't tell me the seriousness of driving with a dangerous fail
    Are you honestly saying that you need to be told that driving with a bald tyre is serious, dangerous and illegal?
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My car failed its mot yesterday with a dangerous fault, back tyre bald.
    The MOT tyre tread standard is exactly the same as the legal standard - which can get you three points and a fine. When did you last check the tyre? And, yes, I mean YOU - not a garage...?

The garage didn't tell me the seriousness of driving with a dangerous fail
    I think there's a rough clue...

Can I drive it once the tyre is changed as the dangerous fault has been fixed and the previous Mot doesn't expire until next week?
    Yes. Your old MOT is valid, and the fault no longer exists. Driving it home from the garage was just as illegal as driving it to the garage for the test.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals