BT customer? Check if up to £9/mth calls package has been added to your bill - MSE News

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 29 March 2019 at 3:39PM in Phones & TV
Some BT landline customers will have a calls package added to their phone bill automatically next month - here's what you need to know...
Read the full story:
'BT customer? Check if up to £9/mth calls package has been added to your bill'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So, BT just needs to bide their time before removing the "special" discounts and then rely on customer apathy to retain the unsuspecting.

What a wheeze. :rotfl:
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they changed it so that you only were charged in a month if it saved you money, then nobody should complain. It's a pity someone hasn't invented some form of device which could be made to calculate that automatically....
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 29 March 2019 at 10:16PM
    BT tried this on me

My BTI and LL are both on 18 months contracts starting and finishing on same dates.

11 months into my contract I received a letter from BT telling me they would be moving me in 1 month on to a "any time call package" if I don't not contact them.

I did phone 150 and pointed out that I was on 18 months contracts on LL and BTI and that I intended to hold BT to that and did not want a "any time call package" Or I would leave BT at end of 18 months contracts.

They apologizes and I left it at that, I check my on line account about once a month and 18 months contracts still show up, prices the same and both ending in December.

Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 March 2019 at 10:18PM
    It should be illegal to make someone need to opt-out of something they haven't signed up for in the first place - I could not enforce them paying me £20 a month unless they had opted out!

I took this up with them on FB and among various responses they told me
    We've only added it on to accounts where they have high call levels.

My call charges were £2.53 a month over the last year (for short term reasons the highest they have ever been and included 1 £9 call) and they were offering me the package for £2.50 a month, a massive 3 pence a month saving on the "very high call levels"
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    My call charges were £2.53 a month over the last year (for short term reasons the highest they have ever been and included 1 £9 call) and they were offering me the package for £2.50 a month, a massive 3 pence a month saving on the "very high call levels"

Maybe I've been on MSE too long, but a 3 pence a month saving sounds great & I the thought of paying for a phone call would give me nightmares.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    phillw wrote: »
    Maybe I've been on MSE too long, but a 3 pence a month saving sounds great & I the thought of paying for a phone call would give me nightmares.

Yep, they're automatically saving people money based on their last 12 months of use and yet people are upset about it.
  • mjm3346
    edited 30 March 2019 at 5:16PM
    Yep, they're automatically saving people money based on their last 12 months of use and yet people are upset about it.

They would be costing me money not saving it - the last 12 months call costs have no bearing on possible future costs - which will be ZERO nearly every month as they have been for over 8 years and a long term total of less than £5 a year on calls will continue compared to their charge of £30 a year.

As already pointed out they are not doing it to save customers money
    So, BT just needs to bide their time before removing the "special" discounts and then rely on customer apathy to retain the unsuspecting.

the charge could go to £9 a month, £108 a year instead of the £5 or less I normally pay a year.
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Some very negative comments here. Being on anytime calls with BT I have not been offered the deal as my monthly call spend is obviously zero. I gather it is only offered to Weekend and Evenings/Weekend customer, and as such gives them anytime during the week at less cost than paying for the anytime add on. A good deal if you ask me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    They would be costing me money not saving it - the last 12 months call costs have no bearing on possible future costs - which will be ZERO nearly every month as they have been for over 8 years and a long term total of less than £5 a year on calls will continue compared to their charge of £30 a year.

As already pointed out they are not doing it to save customers money

the charge could go to £9 a month, £108 a year instead of the £5 or less I normally pay a year.

Nonsense, they can only base it on the previous 12 months not some fanciful Nostradamus based future guess. How do even you know what you'll need over the next 12 months?

The charge could go to £9 a month but it's a rolling monthly add-on that can be removed anytime by a simple phone call (that won't cost anything).
  • mjm3346
    edited 31 March 2019 at 12:05AM
    Some very negative comments here. Being on anytime calls with BT I have not been offered the deal as my monthly call spend is obviously zero. I gather it is only offered to Weekend and Evenings/Weekend customer, and as such gives them anytime during the week at less cost than paying for the anytime add on. A good deal if you ask me.

Being offered the chance to take up a deal (which is only any good if you need it) is one thing having it imposed and needing to opt-out is totally different and that is what they have done here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure