What did you spend your first salary on?

Options
2»

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should get together with JackCork who also likes starting pointless threads...or perhaps take it to facebook where this sort of posting is more relevant.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My first job was as a trolley/checkout boy at Sainsbury's, aged 17. I honestly have no recollection of what I did with the first paycheck, although I recall my hourly rate was around three pound something an hour. To kill time on a boring evening shift I once mentally estimated how many seconds-per-penny that worked out as (somewhere on the order of ten seconds per penny earned - that realisation really didn't help when enduring particularly bad customers).

I think my first several months paychecks all went to my building society account that I didn't really understand how to access, so I had over a grand accrued by the time I started spending. Unfortunately my promising savings habit came to an abrupt end when I started university aged 18, and was given a student loan and a student bank account with free overdraft. On at least one occasion I attended my local branch convinced I had been defrauded, but on closer inspection I had just frittered money away. Dark times...
    : )
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    You should get together with JackCork who also likes starting pointless threads...or perhaps take it to facebook where this sort of posting is more relevant.

That's a bit off. Honestly I'd rather have more threads like this and less "WHAT COLOUR IS YOUR DEBIT CARD!!!?!?!?!?! I'VE GOT A BIG PURPLE ONE!!!!!!!!"
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • fira
    fira Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Started work at 16yo, well over 50 years ago. Monthly net salary was pennies over £36. I'd no choice about what I did with it because it all went to my folks until I was 18yo and I got some pocket money right back every month. That seemed to be the way it was in many households in those days and before me by a few years, my two older brother had to do the same. Bill
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    "Monthly net salary was pennies over £36"
    You were overpaid.:p
    I left school at 15 in 1960 and my first wage, not salary, was less than £3/week gross. Started as an office runaround at a large steelworks near to where I lived.
    Can't remember what my first purchase was but it will have been on something totally useless after the excitement of receiving this very first enormous sum of money into my sticky little hands.

Yes, paid directly in a brown wage packet every week.
  • fira
    fira Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    "Monthly net salary was pennies over £36"
    You were overpaid.:p
    I left school at 15 in 1960 and my first wage, not salary, was less than £3/week gross. Started as an office runaround at a large steelworks near to where I lived.
    Can't remember what my first purchase was but it will have been on something totally useless after the excitement of receiving this very first enormous sum of money into my sticky little hands.

Yes, paid directly in a brown wage packet every week.

Even with just the pocket money oldagetraveller, I felt rich. I could buy a 5-pack of Woodbine instead of a tipped single ;)

It was much the same job I had as you but in paint factory. Do you remember the different male/female wage scales? A lass who started the day after I did got almost £60 less a year. I know in those days the law allowed employers to do that but it shouldn't have. Bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First pay packet was from my job as a Saturday Girl in a baker's shop, aged 13. It all went into my savings account, as I was saving up for a kayak (which, 40 years later, I still have).

First real pay packet as a "grown up" went on rent and groceries, and the rest went into my Post Office Investment account to build up a deposit for a house.

Quite boring, really.
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First full time packcheck at age 18, I got a new mobile phone contract (£30pm) and saved the rest. Did this with every packcheck after allowing me to put a deposit down and buy my house at age 20.

Best decision I made financially (deposit saving, not the phone contract)
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business