MBNA say no to PPI

Options
Hello everyone.

I’m after some advice please.

I’ve jumped on the bandwagon finally for reclaiming PPI.
I’ve had success with one credit card 👍🏻
However, MBNA have said:

“Thanks for contacting us. Our records show this account has no history of PPI, so there’s no action to take.”

I can’t quite remember exactly when I got this credit card but I’d take a guess at maybe 14 years ago. It was also previously known as a Virgin Credit card.

On receiving annual statements, I distinctly remember a charge of £79.99 being added for payment protection insurance. I didn’t know what this was. I certainly know they never asked me about it. I assumed I HAD to have it. For 2 consecutive years, this was applied and charged to the card.

The unfortunate thing is, I have no paperwork to prove I had PPI.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can seeing as they have said no. Can I go elsewhere to a company that would check it for me?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    miss_zoeee wrote: »
    On receiving annual statements, I distinctly remember a charge of £79.99 being added for payment protection insurance. I didn’t know what this was. I certainly know they never asked me about it. I assumed I HAD to have it. For 2 consecutive years, this was applied and charged to the card.
    PPI on credit cards was paid monthly as a proportion of any outstanding balance.
    So whatever your £80 annual fee was for, it wasn't PPI.

Regardless, since you have no documentary evidence of this phantom payment I can't see any way you could pursue any complaint about it. The Bank have already told you that you didn't have PPI.

There are no companies able to "check" on your private financial history,I'm afraid, it is not in the public domain.

So, unless you can find these annual (?) statements and then discover what these alleged payments were for, it's game over.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On receiving annual statements, I distinctly remember a charge of £79.99 being added for payment protection insurance.

Every month? Thats a meaty premium. Were you really borrowing a lot on the card?
    or 2 consecutive years, this was applied and charged to the card.

PPI would not be a fixed premium. It would be priced based on the balance you didnt pay at the end of the month. This doesnt sound like PPI.
    Can I go elsewhere to a company that would check it for me?

Your data is not in the public domain. The only company that can check it is MBNA or your own statements.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    miss_zoeee wrote: »

Sounds like CPP rather than PPI

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/CPP-card-protection/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Sounds like CPP rather than PPI
    Could be, but sounds way too expensive as an annual fee for that.

Regardless, the CPP boat sailed a few years ago and the OP has no evidence of this payment,
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sometimes CPP was sold in three year chunks - but definitely not PPI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts