118118 money- Fraud

athwalr
athwalr Posts: 6 Forumite
[FONT=&quot]Hi All,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Over the last couple of weeks i have been subject to identity theft, thankfully it has now stopped. Thankfully the fraudster got some of my details incorrect so the majority of the applications that were submitted had been declined (total of 45 applications). I had followed advice online regarding checking my credit report closely to be highlighted of any companies running credit checks/ searches which I did do religiously! So this is where it gets interesting, about a week into being made aware of the fraudulent applications I get a credit card through the post from118118 money, I phoned them and got it cancelled straight away. I then came to realise that they had not even performed a credit check, in addition to this I found that the fraudster got some of my details wrong on the application (incorrect dob) but yet somehow this all got through and was approved. It’s been three weeks so far and they are still investigating. I’m seriously contemplating contacting my solicitor to start proceedings against them. As far as I’m concerned a credit check would be the most basic check which would have come back as fraudulent given the details used were incorrect. Has this happened to anybody, if so what would you advise I do. I’m concerned that had I not I not got the card through the post I would never have known this had been setup.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any advice is appreciated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]thanks
[/FONT]

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    With the 118118 credit search, have you looked at all three credit files to confirm whether or not there had been a search?

With regard to the alleged fraudulent applications, I would make a report to the police. You can do this online at https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I would also consider submitting a Protective Registration with CIFAS.
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration

Edit: And welcome to the forum :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • athwalr
    Hi -Thanks for responding

I have registered with CIFAS , completed an action fraud report and also checked with all 3 credit file companies, no sign of a credit check at all.

Just unsure what my options are now .
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

I just checked the small-print on the 118118 credit card site. According to them, they score a borrower against the data held by both Experian and TransUnion (Ex CallCredit). Maybe the search will show up on the next monthly update of these files...
    When we do a Quick Check, we use the personal information you've given us to help give you an indication whether you'll be accepted for the 118 118 Money Card. If you apply, we'll need to share this personal information with credit reference agencies.

To confirm your credit rating, we work with third party credit reference agencies like Call Credit and Experian. To protect your identity and help prevent fraud and money laundering, we'll also give your personal information to fraud prevention or other law enforcement agencies.

Quick Check will show up as a search on your credit file but it won't affect your credit rating.

I don't think there is any more you can do, except for keeping a close eye on your credit files (via Noddle, Clearscore and MSE Credit Club).
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    athwalr wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]I’m seriously contemplating contacting my solicitor to start proceedings against them. [/FONT]

What proceedings would they be then?
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    What exactly do you think your solicitor is going to do... other than charge you handsomely for their time?

Ultimately the decision to lend is a commercial decision and would be reliant on a number of factors... furthermore if there has been no financial detriment to you as a result then what are you after?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The (attempted) fraud was against 118118, not you, so I don't know you'd have much to claim against them. If it had been successful and it had caused you a lot of hassle and wasted time to prove it wasn't you, then maybe, but it doesn't sound like that happened.
  • I had some problems with someone trying to get credit using my details about 18 months ago included was 118118 and I have to say they were brilliant, couldn't have been more helpful, they even organised a CIFAS marker for me.
  • athwalr
    hi - thanks for your reply.

Im up to a total of 90+ applications having now been made, all failed at credit check stage due to incorrect identifiers, apart from 118118- no credit check performed and they are reviewing the case. Serious incompetence to allow for a credit card to be issued with no credit check!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The question to you OP still remains - what do you hope to get out of the legal proceedings?

The cynics in here will think it's all about compensation!

Generally in our legal system you don't get financially compensated for stress or spending time sorting things out.

Or do you want to spend money just getting a legal undertaking from 118118 that they won't make the same mistakes again?
  • athwalr
    essentially to stop this from happening to someone else, I'm not delusional about compensation claims, i just cant understand how without a credit check on top of using incorrect personal information , 118118 would issue a credit card! if they had done so they would have noted the incorrect information that was provided!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure