Moving from Direct Line Car Insurance but they don't show over 9 years no claims discount

Options
2»

Comments

• JBMouse
    JBMouse Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just had a similar situation with my car insurer, RIAS.
    I had shopped around, using this site, and found AA insurance a lot cheaper, using 9 years NCD as a basis, which is all that is shown on my RIAS renewal, and has shown that figure for many years, but I actually have over 20 years NCD, and using 20+ years NCD the AA quote was further cheaper by about £14, not to be sniffed at. But Rias would not confirm to me that I had over 20yrs, also claiming that a system change in 2016 meant they could not go back beyond that date! So much for holding records for the legal recommended 7yrs.
    Insurers have us over a barrel, and the sooner there is more, and proper oversight of the whole industry the better, and I may write directly to Martin to get his opinion.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JBMouse wrote: »
    I have just had a similar situation with my car insurer, RIAS.
    I had shopped around, using this site, and found AA insurance a lot cheaper, using 9 years NCD as a basis, which is all that is shown on my RIAS renewal, and has shown that figure for many years, but I actually have over 20 years NCD, and using 20+ years NCD the AA quote was further cheaper by about £14, not to be sniffed at. But Rias would not confirm to me that I had over 20yrs, also claiming that a system change in 2016 meant they could not go back beyond that date! So much for holding records for the legal recommended 7yrs.
    Insurers have us over a barrel, and the sooner there is more, and proper oversight of the whole industry the better, and I may write directly to Martin to get his opinion.

Let us know when you have written to M Lewis.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that the amount of NCD/NCB you have is always the amount that the last insurance company will confirm. You may have not had a claim in 20 years but that doesn't mean your entitled to 20 years NCD/NCB.

A good example of this was a few years ago now i was with Admiral and had a few 10 month policies in a row that gave 1 years NCB/NCD at the end of each 10 months. I was even able to use this when i moved to another insurer.
    Is this the quickest way to rebuild no claims discount? I decided not to drive for a while but left it more than 2 years, which destroyed my 9 years no claims discount. I'd like to start driving again so I'm looking for hints on this board.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this the quickest way to rebuild no claims discount? I decided not to drive for a while but left it more than 2 years, which destroyed my 9 years no claims discount. I'd like to start driving again so I'm looking for hints on this board.

It is the quickest way i know of to get NCD but if Admiral are not coming out as one of the cheapest insurers on comparison sites then it probably isn't worth doing.

Your best bet is to get some quotes on comparison sites to see how much insurance will cost and go from there.
  • scorsagian
    scorsagian Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My car renewal comes up in three weeks time.
    Last year while changing car insurances, I seemed to get caught between the devil(Admiral) and the deep blue sea (Swinton) I decided to do some research this year.
    To be honest, after days search the internet, I don't seem to be any the wiser..
    Plenty of cheaper quotes ranging from R BS (£148) and AA(£155) but the reviews don't seem to give me much more faith than I had last year.

It is only 15 insurances later via the comparison sites and following all advice here, that I seem to get a half decent one. saga at £!73. I think I will bite the bullet and go with saga.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated and thanks for reading from a newbie.poster.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure