Wills - stepdad and inheritance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
31 replies 4.6K views

Replies

• gemwgemw Forumite
    19 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Nope!

They got mirror wills and were charged just over 2k. They also did a declaration of severance whereby they changed from joint tenants to tenants in common. However, grandad left his share of the house to Nan in his will so no issues there.

Their house isn’t registered with the Land Registery. They bought it new in the 60’s. The same solicitor suggested he would do it for them and my Nan said he wanted £5k for it. Thankfully they had the sense at the time to say no.

This solicitor must have crawled up from the depths of hell!

Anyway, I’ve recently applied for power of attorney myself and I’m now in the process of trying to do the first registration of her house and put it in her name solely. A bit of a paperwork exercise but a hell of a lot cheaper!
  • edited 3 April 2019 at 2:50PM
    4leafclover_24leafclover_2 Forumite
    73 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2019 at 2:50PM
    Could it have been a will writing company/estate planner rather than a qualified solicitor? There was a (unregulated) company promoted by most of the building societies a few years ago and pushed people, generally those who go into branches rather than bank online - towards a ~ 5K will/PoA/trust package and severing the joint tenancy, all at higher than normal costs even when all of it wasn't necessary.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gemw wrote: »
    They also did a declaration of severance whereby they changed from joint tenants to tenants in common.

However, grandad left his share of the house to Nan in his will so no issues there.

So that was a pointless exercise that no doubt added to the final bill!
  • gemwgemw Forumite
    19 Posts
    I still can’t figure out how to quote people directly.

But yes 4leafclover you’re probably right. My Nan can’t remember where my grandad found this solicitor. They had wills previously done by a local solicitor that I found which were perfectly adequate, leaving everything to each other. My Nan said from speaking to someone he got it in his head they should change to tenants in common to avoid paying any care costs from the house.

But then they still left everything to each other anyway *scratches head*

My Nan just went along with it.

Anyway now I’m thinking it might just be easier for her to draw up a new will. We’ll find out when we meet a local solicitor next week.

As for my mum, I told her she could get a free consultation and will through cancer research UK. However, she was reluctant because she’s so ill now she finds it hard to leave the house. In the end we did a DIY will at her request, with myself and Nan as executor and me as the main beneficiary. She doesn’t have much asset wise, she doesn’t own property. I’m really hoping it doesn’t cause any issues further down the line with her husband.
  • nom_de_plumenom_de_plume Forumite
    936 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I still can’t figure out how to quote people directly.

In the end we did a DIY will at her request, with myself and Nan as executor and me as the main beneficiary.

What device are you using to view the forum on?

I trust the Will was correctly witnessed i.e not by anyone who is also a beneficiary.
  • gemwgemw Forumite
    19 Posts
    I’m using my iPhone.

Yes her neighbours were witnesses.
  • nom_de_plumenom_de_plume Forumite
    936 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a + button under each reply? If so, that opens up an option to quote (on my Android device).
    Not tried it though as I use a desktop.....

And perfect!
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    On my desktop - at the bottom of the post a big blue lozenge with the word "quote" (you can cut bits out of the text.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • gemwgemw Forumite
    19 Posts
    Just following on from this and my mums DIY will....

As I’ve said before my mum doesn’t have much asset wise. She’s already given me her jewellery (not worth thousands) and gifted in her will her old car to a step-grand daughter.
    In her will she’s left her personal bank accounts (two banks - not major monies) to myself.

Anything in the joint account will go to her husband. And in the house they rent, all other property will go to him.

I’m just worried if I take a DIY will to the bank or send for probate (if it will be needed) will they reject it for not being done by a solicitor?
    Will that mean her husband will get automatic rights to her money? She told me she’s adamant he doesn’t get it, but won’t see a solicitor in person due to being too ill.

I’m meeting the solicitor on Monday about my nans will (along with her) and will take the DIY with me to be checked over - if they will do that without mum being present.

I can sense the vultures starting to circle (step family) and want to be able to nip any future disagreements in the bud immediately.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In her will she’s left her personal bank accounts (two banks - not major monies) to myself.

The best way to ensure you receive this money is for your mother to make these joint accounts with you - the money will automatically be all yours and won't become part of her estate.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals