PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is on your staples shopping list?

Comments

• vonph1
    vonph1 Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    oxo cubes, bisto

Von
  • Whilst I think about it, Aldi usually have quite a good selection of dried herbs and spices and they're usually cheaper than the main supermarkets. (including things like vanilla pods)
    :wave:
  • I'd include olive oil and runny honey - always helpful to have a bottle of white and red wine too...for deglazing pans for sauces of course :D
    "Who throws a shoe, honestly?"
    :rotfl:
  • I've added your question to a very recent thread on the same topic to keep the answers together.

Nice idea for something to do for your sister!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Whilst I think about it, Aldi usually have quite a good selection of dried herbs and spices and they're usually cheaper than the main supermarkets. (including things like vanilla pods)

Sadly she lives at the other end of the country from me so it's going to have to be by Tesco or Asda's delivery service :(

I might look into Lidl's herbs and spice section for myself though!

Lil
  • Someone else mentioned this site. It has good visual reminders of what your Sis may need......

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/store_cupboard_essentials
  • Thanks to your suggestions I have now added:

olive oil
    honey
    stock cubes
    fish sauce
    balti paste
    mixed herbs
    mustard powder
    worcestershire sauce
    and a box of belgian chocolates (well... they were on offer... and she's skinnier than me! :rotfl: )

Thanks for all of your suggestions; all of the above I'd be lost without and yet they still slipped my mind:rolleyes:

Lil
  • Wish I had a Sis like you :D
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Are you going to buy this stuff for your sister?
    Why not try buying a bit each week, she may be overwhelmed with all the stuff and still end up buying a jar of sauce.
    Maybe start off with some mixed herbs and a jar of passata or tin of chopped tomatoes....you could also print off a basic recipe...this may encourage her.
    Next one could be a chilli, some chilli powder, tin of kidney beans, tin of tomatoes and again a recipe.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • whatatwit wrote: »
    Are you going to buy this stuff for your sister?
    Why not try buying a bit each week, she may be overwhelmed with all the stuff and still end up buying a jar of sauce.
    Maybe start off with some mixed herbs and a jar of passata or tin of chopped tomatoes....you could also print off a basic recipe...this may encourage her.
    Next one could be a chilli, some chilli powder, tin of kidney beans, tin of tomatoes and again a recipe.

I had thought about that and like you I was slightly worried that she'd just end up using a few of the things like basil and oregano and ignoring the rest.

She was a very adventurous cook when we were both living at home and is actually quite skilled in the kitchen, at the moment the problem seems to be the lack of time and money rather than skills and knowledge. Even though the total list so far, including chocolate, costs less than £30, it's £30 she doesn't have.

I love the idea of a recipe a week though! Sending a few of the items to her once a week will be fairly expensive as we live a few hundred miles apart, but I could post her a recipe containing various ingredients once a week.

Lil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport