PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is on your staples shopping list?

Comments

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Tofu
    beef steak (not more than once a week, even less)
    Fish
    eggs
    wholemeal bread
    wholemeal pasta
    tomato passata
    parmesan
    extra virgin olive oil
    garlic
    onion
    broccoli
    carrots
    potatoes
    mung beans and alfalfa for sprouting
    bananas
    clementines/satsumas
    lemon
    apples (preferably gala when I they are available)
    various condiments (salt, mustard etc).

I do not have an extensive shopping list because I eat out a lot for work reasons, so when I'm home I tend to have a light but healthy diet. You will have noticed there is no butter/margarine, and the only red meat is beef and then not very frequently.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Lol, i can't be bothered with the par-boiling bit either. Most recipes say to use left over cooked potato but with the human dustbin that is DP we dont tend to have leftovers in this house!

For a super quick spanish omelette i fry ready chopped frozen onions, some bacon bits, add the potatoes, maybe some frozen peppers and then the eggs. Means no peeling/chopping and it great for night when you can't be bothered or are in a mad rush (thats thursdays in our house!)

Kate xxx
    hi kate,

thank you for the recipe, i will add it to my menu for next week,
    you are a :A xxx
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Def pastas,rice,flours,tinned toms,onions,peppers,herbs,tea,sugar,long life milk,cheese,potatoes,cake toppins,bicarb,crackers,salt,pepper,tom puree,beans god and so much more
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • I'm busy putting together a list of stuff from Tesco for my sister who has just moved into a new house.

At the minute she is living on pasta and jars of sauce, mainly as she cannot afford all of the "twiddly bits" that allow you to cook rather than re-heat. I've got a few ideas, but I'd welcome advice as to what stuff you'd put in the basket!

My basket so far contains:
    Herbs - basil, oregano, thyme, dill, parlsey, sage marjoram, rosemary, coriander leaf, bay leaves

Spices - chilli, black pepper, cumin, ground coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon, paprika

Other stuff - balsamic vinegar, lazy garlic, lazy ginger, lazy lemongrass, peppermint flavouring, vanilla extract, yeast

All ideas welcome!

Lil
  • worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, marmite / bovril

all add something to sauces

oh and sweet chilli sauce
  • shimmigirl wrote: »
    worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, marmite / bovril

all add something to sauces

oh and sweet chilli sauce

Good grief, I can't believe I forgot worcestershire sauce and Hendersons Relish!

Thanks,

Lil
  • Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    You might want to add mustard, curry powder, tomato puree, cinammon, sugar...

I assume you have items like a can opener and cheese grater?
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • I think you've covered most things!

Bouquet garni
    Lemon juice
    Ground ginger (for baking) and chinese 5 spice powder
    Tabasco sauce
    Stock cubes
    Cornflour
    Mustard, powder and wholegrain, both useful in cooking
    :wave:
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mixed herbs, mustard powder (I use the Colemans stuff instead of cornflour to thicken the gravy for beef), ground coriander, Tobasco, tumeric, garam masala. You have Lazy lemongrass above so I guess Thai fish sauce.
  • Red_Cat wrote: »
    You might want to add mustard, curry powder, tomato puree, cinammon, sugar...

I assume you have items like a can opener and cheese grater?

She has all of the necessary equipment thanks to a recent birthday. I had forgotten mustard powder and balti paste though. Thank you!

Lil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport