Courier - quite probably a stupid question

Options
I want to sell something large and heavy, and when I choose Flat Postage - Other Courier I can't list, says £9.50 is the max postage.

So I can choose the options for Courier instead of Flat Postage, and put in dimensions and weight. But not a cost.

The help page says to put the cost in the listing itself. But how do you actually charge the winner once it's finished if they pay immediately by paypal?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    I want to sell something large and heavy, and when I choose Flat Postage - Other Courier I can't list, says £9.50 is the max postage.

So I can choose the options for Courier instead of Flat Postage, and put in dimensions and weight. But not a cost.

The help page says to put the cost in the listing itself. But how do you actually charge the winner once it's finished if they pay immediately by paypal?

Some categories have capped postage and it sound slike the category you want to use is capped at £9.50. Unfortunately the only way to charge the full amount is to add it to the item cost, so if you want say £50 for the item and the shortfall for postage is £5 then start your item at £55. You are correct that you can't add anything to the invoice after sale ends.

Alternatively find a cheaper courier if possible.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Soolin. Seems crazy like a lot of Ebay rules.

I think I will make it collection only but put a price to ship in the listing and send a paypal request for payment before shipping - which may well be £50.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Someone may bid and then claim INR though, or pay and want to collect then claim INR after they have collected it.

Whats wrong with adding the shipping to the items cost?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Thanks Soolin. Seems crazy like a lot of Ebay rules.

I think I will make it collection only but put a price to ship in the listing and send a paypal request for payment before shipping - which may well be £50.

I would be very careful with how you do that as you might run into issues. Firstly make sure you show it as collection only , don't make the mistake of trying to fit it into the postage options as that will merely come up as free. Obviously showing collection only will seriously limit your potential views as many people won't even bother looking at the auction.

If someone is interested enough to click and bid and actually wants to collect you need to be careful about them paying by PayPal- as item clearly shows as collection only you can't force them to pay for postage.

You may also struggle to amend the invoice to add postage , there have been removed exports that some sellers struggle to add extra to an invoice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure