Laptop Help Please

Options
Thank you all who replied regarding unlocking my deceased uncle's laptop. I ended up taking to the computer shop as all a bit above my abilities but appreciate the suggestions.

Latest Dilema.................. we currently have an HP Pavilion G6 computer, battery has gone works fine plugged into mains albeit getting slugish must be about 6 or 7 years old. Has an Intel Core i3-3110M CPU @ 2.4 GHZ with an 8GB Ram.

My uncles laptop again an HP has a 1.9GHZ Intel Pentium CPU with a 4GB Ram with 1TB HDD. My uncles laptop is at least 2 if not 3 years newer than ours.

Had planned to buy an all in one computer when our laptop dies just wondering now if it is worth spending money to get my uncles laptop cleared back to factory settings and all his information deleted. Will there be much difference performance wise?

Any help/advice gratefully received

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    You aren't listening anyway....

No need to get anything cleared back and info deleted. Simply swap both mechanical hard drives for solid state drives. No more sluggishness and easily done.
    New battery from perhaps £11.
  • BOBBIs_MUMMY
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    You aren't listening anyway....

No need to get anything cleared back and info deleted. Simply swap both mechanical hard drives for solid state drives. No more sluggishness and easily done.
    New battery from perhaps £11.

I am indeed listening and appreciated everyone's input. I am simply not a computer whizz and would have been willing to try had the solution in my eyes been simple.

Appreciate your input
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    if it is worth spending money to get my uncles laptop cleared back to factory settings and all his information deleted. Will there be much difference performance wise?

Any help/advice gratefully received

To actually answer your question, yes there will be much difference performance wise - as in it will perform like it did when it was new ..

But a better answer has been provided above - that simple install will have it running orders of magnitude faster
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I am indeed listening and appreciated everyone's input. I am simply not a computer whizz and would have been willing to try had the solution in my eyes been simple.

Appreciate your input

It was simple. The problem was Too Many Cooks, so you didn't know which to choose.

You need to choose the solution and then someone will happily talk you through it. You won't be left to your own devices.

Once again, just remove the old HDD, replace with SSD and clean install the operating system. Takes under an hour for each for the uninitiated. Experienced would take half an hour or less.

So once you announce that you would like to go forward, then we'll take the time to write you a step by step guide.

Disappearing and then stating that you just took it to the shop isn't going to encourage anyone to spend much time on your issue.

Full model numbers of both devices will give us an opportunity to look at schematics in advance to check for potential issues.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2019 at 2:27AM
    Options
    depending on the cpus, your uncles laptop may not be better, and do not rely on the frequency alone?

All in ones are often a POS. so if the screen breaks it is often a new computer. You tend to pay over the odds too. Due to them possibly being compact, heat could be an issue, so it is easier to put low spec cpu and other low performance stuff in
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure