Private College/Living Away Under 18 Help?

Our daughter is going to be starting a private college in Blackpool in September. The fees are approx £1800/term x 3 terms and she will be living in Blackpool 3 nights/week at approx £15/night. I wondered if she would be eligible for any financial support since she is not taking a government funded college place and/or support for living away from home at under 18 years old? We are an average income family and so have never been entitled to any benefits/credits etc.
Thanks for any advice.


  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,722
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you choose to leave the state system for private, you are liable for all the costs involved.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Is she doing this because the collge offers something that is not available through the state system? If so I would expect most educational establishments of that type would have information on bursaries and other awards (likely to be very competitive) that may be available.
  • Yes, it’s the best way to actually get employment at the end... it’s a dance college. You’re right it is competitive but she’s in and there may be scholarships/ bursaries in the 2nd/3rd year. I just mostly wondered about any help with living away from home costs since she won’t be 18.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 23,993
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 March 2019 at 9:16PM
    Hi, it depends on the course and unfortunately whether it's in a universal credit area.

    I'm aware from another forum I go on for parents of performing arts children that last year some of them managed to get their rent (or at least a contribution to it) paid for their child, even if under 18. When some started looking into it this year, they found if a UC area, the wording had been slightly changed which meant it no longer would be.

    I'd try asking the college if they know of anything, unfortunately though I don't hold out much hope. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards