Cloning Wordpress sites

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
What is the exact definition of "cloning" for wordpress sites ?
I have seen a perfect website for my needs and don't want an exact copy (that would be silly/pointless) but the layout is perfect
If I use DUPLICATOR and modify it before launching the site - is this illegal or just frowned on ?
The site is a DIVI site - I assume that duplicator will allow cloning of this type of site ??

Comments

• fenlander_uk
    Options
    Duplicator is a Wordpress plugin - you need full administrative access to the site to install and use it. It's intended for Wordpress admins who want to move their site between hosts or develop a site off-line and then clone it to a live server.

The use you describe, even if possible, would IMO be a clear breach of copyright and intellectual property.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Duplicator is a Wordpress plugin - you need full administrative access to the site to install and use it. It's intended for Wordpress admins who want to move their site between hosts or develop a site off-line and then clone it to a live server.

The use you describe, even if possible, would IMO be a clear breach of copyright and intellectual property.
    Thanks - I am an admin for my site !
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you need to be admin for the site you want to clone, the first answer contains all you need to know.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    there is, or was a website into which you pasted the other companies web address, and it would try and find the on line template of the product, cant remember the site though - google :)

it even gave suggestion staion the template used, and that it had been modifies... if that was the case
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    you need to be admin for the site you want to clone, the first answer contains all you need to know.

Wrong - if you can " view" the HTML site - you can download/clone it !!
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Yes you can download static pages, but pages with dynamic content? Good luck with that!
  • fenlander_uk
    Options
    If the OP just wants to use the Wordpress theme used on a site he likes he may find some clues in the HTML for the site's home page. My own site uses the Weaver theme and this can be easily inferred from the page header.

You'll need a browser that can display the page source code. Alternatively, an email to the site admin saying you like his site and would like to know what theme he uses would probably get a positive response.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    If the OP just wants to use the Wordpress theme used on a site he likes he may find some clues in the HTML for the site's home page. My own site uses the Weaver theme and this can be easily inferred from the page header.

You'll need a browser that can display the page source code. Alternatively, an email to the site admin saying you like his site and would like to know what theme he uses would probably get a positive response.

Thanks - I know what they use...
    Elegant Themes DIVI !
    I have sucessfully copied the site - just need to break it down to its components..
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As has been hinted to already. You cant use a plugin to clone a site you dont own.

Do your own work instead of plagurising others
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »

Wrong . No you cant . You can copy the static HTML and that's all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport