Need for Probate for Tenants in common

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
8 replies 1.5K views
toughtobeabugtoughtobeabug Forumite
25 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate

I'm hoping someone might be able to clarify as my head is spinning from reading to much information.

Dad was ill so the solicitor changed Mum to tenants in common to protect her half of the house to avoid a charge on the asset to pay for his care.

He was self funding his care and died before social took over, all pensions money in bank accounts have passed over to mum, she wants to get organised so we don't have to much hassle when she passes.

I know i need to apply for probate but i'm confused as to the next step, is it just a matter of contacting land registry can this be done DIY or would we still need a solicitor? There is a will & no mortgage on the house. everything else has automatically passed to mum its just the house.

Many thanks


This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals