Price match promise not being upheld - Box.co.uk & Ebuyer

Options
2»

Comments

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    But can you buy it at that price and under the same terms?

Both brand new factory sealed boxes? If so simply buy from the cheaper source, if they could have made a profit then that lost sale is their loss.

That defeats the point of a price match promise, the idea being the shopper can buy from the company they know and trust without paying more for the goods.

The policy Box has is worthless and it would be interesting to see how many people have their price match accepted.

From the retailers point of view the price match is likely there to give the impression they'll be the cheapest anyway so the shopper has less of an inclination to look around in the first place.

They just seem to miss that in situations like this they annoy the potential shopper to the point they'll likely not bother returning to their store again.
  • mr-smith
    mr-smith Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    eBuyer responded saying if I prove the others come with the same game then they will look into it again.. I already sent them all the links etc they just seem to be trying to make it too much work to bother.

Box - The website I mentioned that they did price match against previously for me before realising the spec was slightly different and cancelling it have since updated their page to show the spec is in fact the same , I contacted Box again to see if they would match it now and guess what...New excuse !

Now they say their own listing shows a 2 year manufacturer warranty in the specs, while the competitor shows 1 year warranty through themselves.....

I have explained that the warranty offered by the competitor is not a replacement for the manufacturer one it is in addition , and that the manufacture warranty will be valid irrelevant of where it was purchased but they wont have it...

I think il give up at this point as they seem determined to weasel out of it , Very poor practice !
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    TBH if the website your matching against is reputable (if they've been in business 20+ years then it would suggest they are - not sure why you seem reluctant to say who they are) then you may as well order from them. Ebuyer (for example) are not the company they once were. They can be good on selling but (apparently) their after-sales support can be less-than-ideal.
  • mr-smith
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    TBH if the website your matching against is reputable (if they've been in business 20+ years then it would suggest they are - not sure why you seem reluctant to say who they are) then you may as well order from them. Ebuyer (for example) are not the company they once were. They can be good on selling but (apparently) their after-sales support can be less-than-ideal.

Just didn't want to open things up to a debate on whether a company was reputable or not , And thanks yeah I think I will just order from the other retailer.

Interesting side note , I spoke to the manufacturer who confirmed their warranty is the same 2 years irrelevant of where it was bought, but as you say at this point I may as well order with another retailer after Box's poor effort. I gave up completely with eBuyer after their feeble excuse I cant argue with that kind of stupid !.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 March 2019 at 11:41PM
    Options
    That defeats the point of a price match promise, the idea being the shopper can buy from the company they know and trust without paying more for the goods.

The policy Box has is worthless and it would be interesting to see how many people have their price match accepted.

From the retailers point of view the price match is likely there to give the impression they'll be the cheapest anyway so the shopper has less of an inclination to look around in the first place.

They just seem to miss that in situations like this they annoy the potential shopper to the point they'll likely not bother returning to their store again.

Not if the company he wont mention is one of the companies that sell factory refurbished or returned goods.

Bought a TV/DVD unti from Argos clearance some years back, brilliant TV and an excellent way to record to a memory stick also.
    My tests were going well until i tried the DVD player.

Inserting a disc didnt start playing, puzzled why it wouldnt play i did the unmanly thing and consulted the manual. Press the menu and choose DVD. There was no DVD mentioned in the menu.

Seems the factory flashed the wrong firmware/software to the TV. Menu was for a TV without a DVD player, There was a whole pallet of these. I wouldnt expect another shop with a good batch to match that of units that do not work as they are supposed to.

Obviously a good reason why the OP doesnt want to buy from the unamed company. Why are they worried we may say that looks dodgy if its a legit company? If they are legit why did the OP not purchase from them?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mr-smith
    Options
    Not if the company he wont mention is one of the companies that sell factory refurbished or returned goods.

Bought a TV/DVD unti from Argos clearance some years back, brilliant TV and an excellent way to record to a memory stick also.
    My tests were going well until i tried the DVD player.

Inserting a disc didnt start playing, puzzled why it wouldnt play i did the unmanly thing and consulted the manual. Press the menu and choose DVD. There was no DVD mentioned in the menu.

Seems the factory flashed the wrong firmware/software to the TV. Menu was for a TV without a DVD player, There was a whole pallet of these. I wouldnt expect another shop with a good batch to match that of units that do not work as they are supposed to.

Obviously a good reason why the OP doesnt want to buy from the unamed company. Why are they worried we may say that looks dodgy if its a legit company? If they are legit why did the OP not purchase from them?

Ive already said they are brand new not refurb or the like if you read my posts along with the reason for not commenting their name.

Aside from this - Im ordering from the other retailer. I have all the proof I need now to have box price match ( until they think of another excuse ) but after the fight to get the price match they advertise, they dont deserve my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure