Saga gives Platinum cardholders last-minute lifeline on outstanding balances - MSE News

in Credit Cards
6 replies 1.5K views
Former_MSE_NaomiFormer_MSE_Naomi Former MSE
519 Posts
Second Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
Over-50s financial provider Saga is to throw a last-minute lifeline to Platinum credit cardholders who've yet to settle outstanding balances ahead of the card's closure next week, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal - after leaving customers in limbo for two months...
Read the full story:
'Saga gives Platinum cardholders last-minute lifeline on outstanding balances'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what is happening here is very wrong especially considering the type of customer that this product was intended for.
    These customers should have been automatically transferred to an alternative AIB credit card product OR a new SAGA product from a new provider and not put into this situation.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I think what is happening here is very wrong especially considering the type of customer that this product was intended for.

Rich older people?

I think they get enough taxpayer funded subsidies already.
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Rich older people?

They do, but this is a private organisation choosing to cancel a product. AIB may not wish to issue cards to these customers of course, similarly, SAGA may no longer wish to do this service.
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    They do, but this is a private organisation choosing to cancel a product. AIB may not wish to issue cards to these customers of course, similarly, SAGA may no longer wish to do this service.

The previous poster was trying to imply that people aged 50+ are due special consideration/ vulnerable solely due to the their age ;)

I'm fully aware that AIB/SAGA are both private organisations.

I'd imagine that this age group rarely borrow on the card and with the EEA interchange cuts, the product is not sustainable.
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The previous poster was trying to imply that people aged 50+ are due special consideration/ vulnerable solely due to the their age ;)

I'm fully aware that AIB/SAGA are both private organisations.

I'd imagine that this age group rarely borrow on the card and with the EEA interchange cuts, the product is not sustainable.

Most of the reply was aimed at the first post, specifically their stuff about forcing a bank or organisation to issue cards
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • edited 24 March 2019 at 9:54PM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2019 at 9:54PM
    Rich older people?

Don't be jealous.

My original point was not specifically in relation to older people. If an individual has a credit card with a balance and has not breached any of the terms and conditions of the account, I believe that the individual should be permitted to repay that balance in accordance with the terms and conditions under which the balance was incurred and not be told that the balance is due in full and must be repaid immediately. A credit card is not an overdraft to be repaid on demand.
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Most of the reply was aimed at the first post, specifically their stuff about forcing a bank or organisation to issue cards
    These people already have a credit card issued by AIB albeit under the SAGA brand. Nobody is suggesting that AIB be forced to issue credit cards to anybody. What I am suggesting is that AIB should not be allowed to simply close the accounts and demand full repayment. They are after all profiting from the interest being charged to such customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides