Solar IBoost+ experience

Options

Comments

• Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March 2022 at 7:55PM
    Options
    Ok, so we tested the iBoost this evening. Put a new fuse in and tried it with the immersion switched off, and it went bang. So the iBoost is definitely dead. We couldn’t see anything obvious on the circuit board - it all looked clean and tidy, no sign of anything shorting out. 

The resistance on the immersion element when tested last week was 18ohms. 

We’re going to get someone in to remove the iBoost and it’s wiring from the MCB. 
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok, so we tested the iBoost this evening. Put a new fuse in and tried it with the immersion switched off, and it went bang. So the iBoost is definitely dead. 
    You may be correct to assume fault is in the iBoost but your test hasn't 100% proved that !

The connection between iBoost & immersion very likely passes through a couple of junction boxes and certainly the switch you turned off - any one of them might have an internal short or indeed the actual wire might be damaged.  Only sure way to prove the iBoost is at fault would be to disconnect the wire from it and then test.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Cottage_Economy
    edited 24 March 2022 at 9:42AM
    Options
    What do you mean disconnect the wire? 

The iBoost is located directly underneath the main circuit breaker with it’s cable wired directly into that. The wiring from the MCB goes straight to the isolator switch in the airing cupboard, or so I believe, but I’m not taking up carpets and floorboards to see if there’s junction boxes. 
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    its probably  time to get a electrician in , he can can carry out insulation test of out going cable and put a dummy load such as tubular heater directly to the i boast to check what is causing the problem.
  • Cottage_Economy
    edited 24 March 2022 at 11:52AM
    Options
    If I can get someone to come in and do some simple checks of the system without costing me a fortune I will, but it will have to wait as I have a large bill to pay for something else.

In other news, Marlec has refused to supply me with a serviced replacement as the unit was fitted contrary to their fitting instructions and they don’t want the old one back to refurbish. So thank you to the original electrician who didn’t bother complying with the installation instructions and just fitted it the easiest way possible for him. It should have been fitted either in the airing cupboard with the tank or just outside it. 
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,250 Forumite
    Options
    What do you mean disconnect the wire? 

The iBoost is located directly underneath the main circuit breaker with it’s cable wired directly into that. The wiring from the MCB goes straight to the isolator switch in the airing cupboard, or so I believe, but I’m not taking up carpets and floorboards to see if there’s junction boxes. 
    I would hope that there is some way to switch off the supply to the iBoost (if not switching whole house supply off for a few minutes would do the job).

Once power to 
    iBoost is off, it should be safe to take cover off,  identify the lead to the immersion heater and disconnect it then restore power and test iBoost again.  If that seems beyond your level of competence then you need an electrician (who should do something similar before condemning iBoost as faulty).

There's no need to look for junction boxes etc  unless such a test shows fault not to lie with iBoost.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    part of the wiring regs says everything should be fitted as per the manufacturers instructions so if you still have them you could point it  out.
    I have  a different  make of  immersion  diverter which  the instructions tell me to fit it as near to the consumer unit as possible.

• Shackman_2
    Options
    My iBoost+ has worked flawlessly for nearly six years - once I bought the extension lead for the sender, which put it another 30ft or so closer to the iBoost. However, last week I found the circuit breaker had tripped, and the fuse to the box had blown - unfortunately this circuit also has a shower pump and underfloor heating on it. Everything was disconnected, and testing began - in the end it was the iBoost circuit that was the problem.  . First thing I did was disconnect the thermostat - system still tripped off, so checked the box itself and discovered there was a short inside, so that's it. Marlec offered me a new one at retail price - thanks but no thanks.
    So it cost me c£350 to install, but did it give me the same in savings over the five and a half years?  I have LPG heating/hot water, but I'm not sure - in the summer it certainly did, but winter months not so sure. Would I install another - yes, but not at the price now being asked.

PS - I solved the fan noise problem by buying a suitable fan from 'quiet PC' - immediate silence.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,798 Forumite
    Options
     Would I install another - yes, but not at the price now being asked.

How much are they these days?I paid just over £200 installed back in 2013 for an early 1 channel version and have diverted over 10000 kWh so have been pleased with mine..
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Would I install another - yes, but not at the price now being asked.
    How much are they these days?
    About £350, if Google is to be trusted. (I know, I know.)

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback