PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours reducing your chances of selling.

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    Well, perhaps 'These people,' as you call them may want to keep their hard earned money, and not loose it because they complained to a council who then went and did nothing.

Perhaps they don't want to antagonise a chav wanna be gangsta, when they themselves have small children.

Have yourself a little think about it.

What hard earned money?
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could anyone explain to me what is the problem with Germany’s laws on this? It sounds like they are tough on neighbours who make noise, mess etc. That sounds like a good thing to me.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Could anyone explain to me what is the problem with Germany’s laws on this? It sounds like they are tough on neighbours who make noise, mess etc. That sounds like a good thing to me.

https://www.german-way.com/many-kinds-of-noise-vielerlei-laerm/

If you want quiet, but a detached house.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Once again, a moneyforums thread turns into a mud throwing contest.

Ask yourselves if that young family were your friends or relatives, if you'd be as quick to use sarcasm and insults.

Won't be checking this thread again, feel free to be the keyboard warrior you can't be in real life.

Says the guy who attacked me on a recent thread and insisted i "speak to others the way you would want to be spoken to yourself".

Exited the thread pretty sharply when I asked him to quote one instance of me being unpleasant, unkind, or disrespectful.

Like this thread, he has edited the worst kind of insults out of his posts to avoid clearly identifying himself as contentious.

Keyboard warriors? Like someone else said earlier, Pot/ Kettle :)
  • Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    Are you a merkin? Spelling of neighbour a little odd.

Before light dawned (doh!) that you meant "American," I Googled "define merkin." That certainly, uh, extended my education somewhat...
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • epinjy
    epinjy Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just goes to show that the location/neighbourhood of a house is one of the most important factors you should consider. You can't completely eliminate the risks of getting bad neighbours, but you should definitely do your due diligence to make sure the area you are buying a house in is right for you (and you definitely have to pay for it to get a house in a nicer area of town!).
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Last year, a family I know a couple of streets away attempted to sell their property.

The house is in a lovely location, and they'd really done it up inside. It attracted many viewers.

The neighbours in the whole street where friendly quiet types. Then there were the immediate neighbours, in the semi next door. Chavs smoking drugs, dumping cigarette and joint butts everywhere, playing crap music loudly. Barking dogs. Food waste in front of the house and a rat problem.

They couldn't sell their house, and took it off the market.

They are quiet types, who wouldn't dream of calling the council or police, unless its very serious. But if they did, they'd have to declare it when selling.

So in the UK an inconsiderate neighbour can cost you thousands, and there's not much you can do about it. Complain, you loose money. Try and move, you loose money. And as a result, we have a society with more and more bad neighbours.

It should be the case of the neighbours causing the financial loss being made to pay. Families shouldn't have to loose thousands, because a nasty little chav wants the luxury of a barking dog, rubbish and rats.

Ive lived and worked in Germany. Any loud music next door, any of the above nonsense then the police go round straight away and tell them to shut up, and that's it. People can then sleep in peace, without having to worry about loosing thousands of pounds because the neighbor couldn't be civilized. That makes for a work force that can live and work more effectively, and a better economy. It's simple logic and common sense.

In the UK, we don't have that. Some simply take matters in their own hands. When the police and council won't help, what choice do they have? But that leads to a lawless society.

Not sure what the solution is, for this particular family. It really shouldn't be this way. No political party I know of is addressing this matter.

Why have you not reported these issues especially the public health ones?
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    You house will still sell quickly and easily just so long as you price it accordingly, taking into account it's deficiencies, namely undesirable neighbours.

You don't appear to be pricing it accordingly at present.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Once again, a moneyforums thread turns into a mud throwing contest.

Ask yourselves if that young family were your friends or relatives, if you'd be as quick to use sarcasm and insults.

Typical reply from a thread starter when they don't get the replies they are expecting.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »

Creates a sterile over-controlled environment? (but German licensing laws used to let people party most of the night in pubs/clubs anyway, don`t know what they are like now) the odd sound of people playing music and enjoying themselves adds life to an area, of course you don`t want the extremes of loud music all night and fights in the garden, but it seems to me that in Scotland now anything even bordering on party noise gets stamped on much quicker than it used to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport