Hepatic diet

Perry the pup has been placed on a hepatic diet.

One thing he misses is his treats.

The vet did say that winalot shapes were ok for him. He's not that keen.

What else is out there?
Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?

Comments

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Waggndo a low fat dog treat, a quick google will throw up a few ideas.
    You might even find a recipe to make your own, imdidmone with rolled oats once. They seemed acceptable but I then moved back to commercial.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I do have a recipe for dog biscuits that he loved which was oats, chicken stock and peanut butter. But vet has said no to that because of the fat in peanut butter.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Have a read of this site and see if it gives you any ideas. Please check with your vet before using any of the information
    http://dogaware.com/health/liver.html
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There are only three macronutrients that can bulk up a treat: fat, carbohydrate (cheap) and protein (expensive). Without fat or protein, starchy carbohydrates - grains, potato, maize, rice - will not have an appetising smell, flavour or texture.

You don't say what attributes your treat needs to have, can they be high protein? Do they need to be low calorie or just reduced fat? Options might include soup style sachets, small dried whole fish or fish strips (sprats/ salmon), dried meat or jerky (duck/ chicken).

Wilko have a wide selection of 'own brand' healthier pet treats on their website, especially in the Wilko Best line. Their chicken fillets, duck strips, and various meat/ rawhide combination treats ones are marketed as low fat 2%.

Unfortunately not all of their dog treats have the ingredients and nutrition listed, but you could order online delivery for free delivery to store (two to three days), read the packaging and return any fails before leaving the store. My local Wilko only gets a delivery of their regular stock once a week, so it is worth finding out when that is.

Even if dried fish (salmon/ sprats) turn out to be higher in fat it is worth checking with your veterinarian: they might be fine with your lad having a treat that is packed with beneficial omega-3s.

As a 'wildcard' option ... The concept of treating with low nutrient foods is a human one not a canine or feline one. It is not a difficult habit to break if you alter the routine or ritual linked to the treat. Dogs can easily be rewarded with effusive praise, or playtime with a toy that is only used as a reward. Many working dogs willingly do their humans bidding all day for praise or playtime.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I remember a local company Molly's Munchies, Perry loves their treats, just contacted them on FB, they live very close to us and I explained the situation, Molly will be making special munchies just for Perry and bring them around Monday.

So happy, it means he has variety of treats as he's not too keen on his shapes, we have to pretend to eat them, he gets jealous and 4/10 times he will eat them

He is so sick of chicken and rice right now. scrambled egg and goats milk was eaten with protest.

We will get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure