PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stocking up for Brexit

Options
I guess that now is the time to do some extra shopping in case of disruption at the end of the month. We're not panicking, but we've stocked up with long life goods that we'd buy anyway, just a bit more than usual. I'd be interested to hear what other people have done/are intending?
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 March 2019 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Long life goods?

The ones that can be stored for ages and thus should never have supply issues? UNless of course people go out buying way more than they ever normally do.

Its a self fulfilling prophecy you propose.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed, but if it self-fulfils, what then? Would you rather have a full cupboard or an empty one?

However, I'm not proposing others do the same. I'm just asking people what they are doing, if anything?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 March 2019 at 5:13PM
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Indeed, but if it self-fulfils, what then? Would you rather have a full cupboard or an empty one?

However, I'm not proposing others do the same. I'm just asking people what they are doing, if anything?

I will have a full cupboard of food, although i wont be contributing to the problem. My cupboard was filled the day i bought my house and simply needs a basic shop to keep it topped up.

Id encourage everyone to keep a decent store cupboard of food although id recommend people avoid it a few weeks before the long known about issues are about to occur. Youll compound the problem to the detriment of vulnerable people.

Its what is quite literally known as panic buying. And the problems it causes are notorious.

ETA, i think any supply issues will come in the form of fresh produce. Ive got a veg garden that just seems to keep growing (in size) every year and this year is no different. Not because of brexit like but because i like the idea of being as self sufficient as possible.

ETAA, i do think what you are doing is a good thing to do, i just think your timing isnt great. Well it is for you but it compounds the issues on the supply chain.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rightly or wrongly I've done no prepping whatsoever. Only time will tell what the correct course of action was, in hindsight.

It could be the end of civilization as we know it...or not!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,916 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the problem if any would be with fresh foods and not long life products.

I personally am doing nothing outside my usual routine of shopping weekly for what I need.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,580 Forumite
    Options
    I am doing absolutely nothing.........
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    painkillers. only thing I'd struggle to substitute.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have stocked up on Cat Foot and Cat Litter because we're sure that if there are delays at the ports, it won't be prioritised like food and medicines will be.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear what other people have done/are intending?

Enjoy reading

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5855283
  • juGGaKNot
    juGGaKNot Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    got 70 sardines cans, 70 no added sugar chocolates, pickles ( sainsburry voucher ).
    20kg meat in the fridge
    4-5 kg of coconut oil/butter, 2kg shampoo, 600ml deodorant ( lidl super weekends )

Going to get more seeds ( home bargains ) and instant coffee ( asda ).
    And another shipment of cooked meat/goat cheese from romania, just in case it gets blocked.

With the free food i get at dhl I'm good for up to 3 months with no spend until prices normalize.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure