Drip feed or lump sum

Options
Hi

I have a S&S ISA with two passive tracker funds. I have been paying a monthly amount into each fund for the past year. I have been thinking recently about the differences between my 'drip feed' approach and a lump sum investment and which might be better. Is there evidence to support one being better than the other?

Thanks

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Investments tend to rise over time. If you do not believe this you would be foolish to invest
    The future is unpredictable
    Therefore the longer you stay invested the more you will gain on average
    Therefore investing as soon as you have the cash available would provide higher long term returns than delaying.
  • Alistair31
    Alistair31 Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I found this to be a very interesting article. No affiliation whatsoever.

https://ofdollarsanddata.com/how-to-invest-a-lump-sum/
  • NoMore
    NoMore Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    https://monevator.com/lump-sum-investing-versus-drip-feeding/

2/3 of time lump sum is better, of course you don't know in advance!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a S&S ISA with two passive tracker funds.

Tracker funds would suggest single sector funds. Single sector funds are designed to be held in a portfolio of funds covering all the sectors. That typically means 8-12 funds. So, if you are only holding two, then you are not investing well.
    I have been thinking recently about the differences between my 'drip feed' approach and a lump sum investment and which might be better. Is there evidence to support one being better than the other?

Yes plenty of evidence.

Statistically, lump sums invested at the earliest opportunity give better returns in the majority of cases. However, there will be periods where phasing will be better.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Perhaps also worth clarifying that if you're starting with a lump sum then getting it invested sooner rather than later is the smart choice.

Conversely, if you don't have a lump sum to start with then there's no point in waiting until you've built one up, so in this scenario it's better on average to drip-feed rather than deferring the purchase.

These are just rules of thumb of course and can be affected by other factors such as transaction fees....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Tracker funds would suggest single sector funds. Single sector funds are designed to be held in a portfolio of funds covering all the sectors. That typically means 8-12 funds. So, if you are only holding two, then you are not investing well

I'm not too sure what you mean? I have a passive tracker for the FTSE World (ex UK) Index which has a cumulative performance of 79% over the last 5 years and 4.5% over the period I have invested. My other tracker tracks the FTSE USA Index with a cumulative performance over 5 years of 106% and just under 10% for the period I have been investing. I have just added a third fund covering the pacific region excluding Japan to diversify further. These are all in the H&L wealth 50 funds.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not too sure what you mean? I have a passive tracker for the FTSE World (ex UK) Index which has a cumulative performance of 79% over the last 5 years and 4.5% over the period I have invested. My other tracker tracks the FTSE USA Index with a cumulative performance over 5 years of 106% and just under 10% for the period I have been investing. I have just added a third fund covering the pacific region excluding Japan to diversify further. These are all in the H&L wealth 50 funds.
    You are not diversifying with your US and AP funds, you are just overweighting sectors already covered by your global fund. Adding a UK equity tracker would increase the diversification as you would be adding something that you don't already have
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As mentioned above, generally speaking a lump sum is the most efficacious. however there are other conciderations.

if a market correction happens soon after and this would bother you- you need to consider the ramifications- if you sold out thru panic you wouldnt see any upside corrections. So then you mght find pound cost averaging ie montlhy payments in to be less stressfull. and thus does mean you dont have to keep your eyes on the markets.

Of course, if you dont have huge lump sums, and save thru monthly income, you will find the pound cost averaging method does have its advanteges. For many years, this was the only way for us to invest. Now we have lump sums to invest I still generally prefer this method although I will make lump sum investments too.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yup 'time in the market' rather than 'timing the market' for me too.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    You are not diversifying with your US and AP funds, you are just overweighting sectors already covered by your global fund. Adding a UK equity tracker would increase the diversification as you would be adding something that you don't already have

What's an AP fund?

With regards to a UK fund, I have avoided this intentionally due to the uncertainty surrounding brexit. From the investment books I've read so far, markets don't like uncertainty and to me brexit is exactly that. Anyway I'm sure it's been discussed on the boards at length and there will be differing opinions on this! Just to add as well, I don't invest the same amount in every fund to try and spread the risk further. In terms of weighting the international fund is about 50% American with the rest geographically spread. The american fund is 100% USA and the Pacific fund has no exposure to the US. I have been looking at a European fund and a Chinese fund as well but at present the UK just looks too uncertain (in my opinion).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure