MBNA PPI & Credit Card charges

Options
Hi

I’ve been successful with claiming back PPI and unfair charges in the past but one is being really ignorant -MBNA!

Anyone else experiencing the same ?

Written letters , offered the £10 cheque and nothing ... starting to loose patience! I know I’ve been unfairly charged 100% and want to check for PPI :(

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A DSAR, direct to the bank, it's free.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Busymum38 wrote: »

Why do people always ask this, these days, rather than actually wanting to solve their issue?

It's become the most commonly asked question. It's very strange.
  • Busymum38
    Options
    I’m asking because other named banks have refunded but this one in particular MBNA refuse to acknowledge any dealings and I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same with MBNA; seeing as this bank went on the news for a court decision and I’ve not heard of anything since !
  • Busymum38
    Options
    DSAR - this is related to employee only though according to google . Many thanks tho o
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    DSAR - this is related to employee only though according to google . Many thanks tho o

You must use a different Google. :)

DSAR = Data Subject Access Request
    https://www.dpnetwork.org.uk/right-access-gdpr/

You can send a DSAR to anyone that you believe holds your personal data.

I'd guess that's what you were after when you "offered the £10 cheque". They no longer cost £10, thanks to the GDPR they are now free.
  • andrewp435
    Options
    I was informed by MBNA that I did have missold PPI for 11 years but they refused to pay out because the Credit Card was fully paid up more than 6 years ago and they hid behind that fact. It was not a problem with either the Halifax or Barclays but MBNA dug their heels in. I went to the Ombudsman who sided with MBNA...beware of those ads that say you can claim for PPI even from many years ago.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andrewp435 wrote: »
    I was informed by MBNA that I did have missold PPI for 11 years but they refused to pay out because the Credit Card was fully paid up more than 6 years ago and they hid behind that fact. It was not a problem with either the Halifax or Barclays but MBNA dug their heels in. I went to the Ombudsman who sided with MBNA...beware of those ads that say you can claim for PPI even from many years ago.

If a firm uses a legal time bar like the 6/3 year rules, it's irrelevant what adverts say, they can bar you
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I’ve been successful with claiming back PPI and unfair charges in the past but one is being really ignorant -MBNA!

Written letters , offered the £10 cheque and nothing ... starting to loose patience! I know I’ve been unfairly charged 100% and want to check for PPI :(

You know you've been unfairly charged despite the OFT ruling in 2006 and bank court case in 2009 which already killed off unfair charges?

You don't need a SAR for a PPI complaint, just email or write to them and ask if you had it.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Also the adverts ARE correct and people CAN claim (complain about) PPI even from many years ago... it’s just that YOU can’t on this occasion.

If your post had led with the fact that your complaint has already been rejected by MBNA and FOS you could’ve saved everyone some time and effort as you would’ve been told that was the end of the matter - a DSAR is not going to help you now.

From the latest drip feeding of info I am going to go out on a limb and say that you complained that you didn’t know you had PPI, to which MBNA reminded you that you canceled it oh so many years ago and as such should have complained within a reasonable time frame of that moment - and then FOS went and agreed with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure