Repair kitchen wooden work surfaces

My kitchen work tops haven't been oiled in a long time, they have always had black rings on them, particularly near the sink but this is getting worse now. I was considering sanding them down and re-applying oil to them but firstly I wanted to see how much I would need to pay to get them done professionally.

It's a fairly small galley kitchen with surfaces and at one end where the inset sink is. Most of the work will be around the sink, the rest aren't too bad.

Can anybody suggest how much I should expect to pay and also is this a job for a kitchen fitter, a chippy or an odd jobber?



  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    This being a money saving site, and there being a slight lack of square meterage estimates, I'd say have a go yourself.

    How do these black rings come to be anyway? (Says she with a fleet of chopping boards I use as insulation also.) Best of all, doing it yourself will give you a new appreciation of your wood surfaces & encourage you to keep them nurtured!
  • sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Ambassador
    17.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I couldn’t agree more with digforvictory.

    Have a go yourself, you’ve nothing to lose.

    My husband is a kitchen fitter and he says that they have to be oiled and sanded every 6 months which is why he try’s to talk people out of them ��

    I have his sink cutouts as chopping boards and I sand and re oil them every 3 to 4 months
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    An odd-job/handyman should be able to complete this for you, and you might find it easier to find a handyman to do this, rather than a kitchen fitter/joiner who would also be able to do this for you.

    I would expect it to cost between £75 and £100 to have it done professionally. If it costs more, just ask them to explain the costs and how long it will take, and agree that if they say 5 hours and they are done in 2, they will only charge you for the time they spend.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • misterthriftymisterthrifty Forumite
    458 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the advice. Much as I would like to do it myself , I would have to get a detail sander, sandpaper & oil, also it would probably take me a day to do it, so if I could get the job done properly for up to £100 then I would probably go for that.

  • mrglittersparklesmrglittersparkles Forumite
    7 Posts
    If they are simply dark marks and not burn marks, would a simple diluted bleach solution not tackle them and then follow up with light sandpaper then wax?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools