Made redudant but someone has been offered a temp role

Recently I found out I was made redundant, I am also 18 weeks pregnant
My entire team is going so it is not maternity discrimination. However found out that someone on my team who has been there 3 years longer than me has been offered a temp role to cover sick leave in a different department this opportunity was not given to anyone else within my team nor advertised on the official job posting pages.
What are my rights. Due to the fact it is likely to be affixed term contract aswell. I have been informed that the person with this new role will get her redundancy pay in October.

this person has also had much more sick leave than I have but also has anxiety/depression and other mental health issues.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The person is still entitled to redundancy, if that is your question.
    The expiry of a fixed-term contract constitutes a dismissal and, in most cases, the reason for dismissal will be redundancy. So an employee who has previously accepted a fixed-term contract as an alternative to redundancy will have redundancy rights on the expiry of that contract, unless there is another reason for the dismissal.

A fixed term role isn't generally considered to be suitable alternative employment.
    That is likely to be their get out in terms of not offering it to anyone else. The person's sick leave and MH issues are irrelevant if the employer considers they have the best skills in order to carry out the role on a short term basis.
    However there is nothing to stop you from asking to be considered if other short fixed term contracts are available.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure