Student Income (Scotland)

Options
Hey folks,

This is actually about my daughter's boyfriend (and classmate).

He's 20, disabled (Aspergers) and associated issues, but had his PIP taken away as he's not considered disabled enough.

He's at home with both parents who cannot support him as they are paying off 2 mortgages etc.

His Universal Credit claim has been closed because he is in full-time education and his course is Level 4.

He cannot get bursary because his parents have an income over the threshold, even though they have stated that they cannot support him.

He is now looking at dropping college (special needs course) just to get some kind of income.

I believe CAB filled out the UC claim in the first place.

Aside from the financial aspect, this is destroying him mentally, and has nullified any chance of him having a social life, which is already nigh impossible due to Aspergers.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When was the decision made on his PIP? Did he request the Mandatory Reconsideration?

The reason why his UC claim has closed is because full time students can't claim it unless they're claiming a disability benefit like PIP.
  • JustSomeGeek
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    When was the decision made on his PIP? Did he request the Mandatory Reconsideration?

The reason why his UC claim has closed is because full time students can't claim it unless they're claiming a disability benefit like PIP.

PIP has already been to Appeal and failed apparently.

Yes, he's been told that. But he is now in a position where he can get no income unless he quits college and tries to sign on, without the basic life and work skills that the college course is supposed to help with. :-/
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    PIP has already been to Appeal and failed apparently.

Yes, he's been told that. But he is now in a position where he can get no income unless he quits college and tries to sign on, without the basic life and work skills that the college course is supposed to help with. :-/

As a student he is expected to obtain a student loan to cover his living costs and then to repay this through his working life (if her earns enough).

I am not convinced by your Statement that the Pip has already gone to appeal. If UC was in payment PIP must have been in payment, it would be most unusual for an appeal to end a PIP claim that was in payment. You need to make sure you understand the challenge and appeal process
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JustSomeGeek
    Options
    So, the PIP was stopped a while ago, too late to challenge it now, but he will hopefully get someone local and knowledgeable to help him re-apply. I believed it was recent, sorry.

The UC claim was terminated before being paid.

The course isn't one with a qualification that will lead to any kind of career, simply a basic course for disabled students to learn how to cope with, and hopefully get a foot on the job ladder. A Student Loan isn't really the kind of "help" he needs. PIP award or not, he is still disabled and has a lot of difficulties. Putting him into debt for this would be very wrong.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    So, the PIP was stopped a while ago, too late to challenge it now, but he will hopefully get someone local and knowledgeable to help him re-apply. I believed it was recent, sorry.

The UC claim was terminated before being paid.

The course isn't one with a qualification that will lead to any kind of career, simply a basic course for disabled students to learn how to cope with, and hopefully get a foot on the job ladder. A Student Loan isn't really the kind of "help" he needs. PIP award or not, he is still disabled and has a lot of difficulties. Putting him into debt for this would be very wrong.

I understand your point of view, I was just stating my understanding of what the rules require/expect. A loan may not be available for the type of course you describe.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    When exactly was a while ago? You have 13 months to appeal to the Tribunal. Did he take it to Tribunal or just Mandatory Reconsideration?
  • JustSomeGeek
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    When exactly was a while ago? You have 13 months to appeal to the Tribunal. Did he take it to Tribunal or just Mandatory Reconsideration?

It's approaching 2 years now, and he is intending to try again, but this won't help him now.

I'm just trying to find ways to keep him in college so he has a chance to get a job afterwards.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Unfortunately, without a PIP award then students are unable to claim UC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure