Forgot to apply knitting before priming....

Hi All,

Not a moneysaving question but looking for a bit of advice.

I have a run of 4m x 1m pine cladding at work that we’ve just replaced and today I applied my usual water based primer undercoat and literally 5 minutes after finishing the coat I realised I hadn’t sealed the knots.

Does anyone know if there Is there anything I can use now to try and prevent them coming through in the future that would work over the coat of primer?

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• Haha, yeah good old iPhone auto correct!

I was afraid that would be the answer though but there are a lot of knots so I was hoping for some kind of magic solution I could put over the top.

I’ve read Aluminium wood primer or Zinsser BIN are good but unsure as to whether it would work over top of the primer.
  • EachPennyEachPenny Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was afraid that would be the answer though but there are a lot of knots so I was hoping for some kind of magic solution I could put over the top.
    Anything you apply over the top of the paint won't stop the paint being affected by the knots, as the paint film will still be in direct contact with the knots.

A magic solution might stop problems coming through into additional coats of paint you apply, but to be honest the best and least expensive option is likely to be simply sanding the primer coat off (perhaps only in the affected areas) and starting again.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals