Can specify where the inheritance goes subsequently?

Options
I bought my house before I got married. I pay the mortgage. If something happens to me, I would want the house to go to my spouse, but I don't want my spouse to pass it to her side of the family in future. Or even lets say, my spouse get re-married, to go to a new partner.

Also, what happens in the house is sold to buy one in a different area.

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure you've fully understood what is meant by 'the marriage contract'....

In theory you could give her a life interest in the house if you die first, but in practice she might well succeed in a claim under the Inheritance Act on the grounds that you haven't adequately provided for her.

If you decide to move, then isn't your wife going to expect her name to be on the new deeds as well as yours? It's a conversation you need to have with her, not strangers on a forum.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Standard life interest trust is the way to go, you can put in provisions for her to move.

What about all your other assets that are not joint?

As pointed out there may be issues depending on circumstances.
  • rajeshk4u
    Options
    What about all your other assets that are not joint?

We don't have any joint assets. I bought the house before we met. Even if we moved, I am most likely to get a mortgage in my name.

Our marriage was n't easy in the early years, so we never had joint finances. We don't even have a joint bank account. I guess, we have carried on with separate finances.

If something happens to me, I would want her to get the house, but she is not financially savvy.

Also, I would not want her to loose the house, if she get re-married and it ends in a divorce.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    As has already been said a life interest trust is requires. If you die first you leave the house to your children, but give her the right to remain in the house until she dies or no longer requires it.

You now need to see a solisitor to get your will sorted.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 February 2019 at 9:44AM
    Options
    who would you want the money left to ie Kids / sibs etc?

TBH after you have gone then you won't know what happens - if someone died relatively young their spouse could go on for decades, marry more than once, move several times, need social care and the people you wanted to leave the money to could have died, etc etc - very hard to cover all situations
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure